Categories: BusinessNews

The secret ingredients of Kelantanese delights

KOTA BHARU – ‘Gulai ayam cincang’, ‘nasi kukus’, ‘daging kerutuk’, ‘gulai kawah’ and ‘gulai darat’ are delectable Kelantan dishes that have found their way into the hearts of many Malaysians.

The unique taste of the dishes can be attributed to the spices used in the ingredients that have been sold for generations by traders particularly at Pasar Siti Khadijah, here.

One such trader is Sultan Kabeer Abdul Kader who owns Kedai Rempah Abe Kabie. The 65-year-old entrepreneur told Bernama that he took over the business that his father started in the 1960s at the old Kota Bharu Municipal Council market (Arked MPKB).

He said after his father passed away in 1985, he carried on his legacy at Pasar Siti Khadijah, adding that his third son, Muhd Firdaus, 31, is now assisting him to run the business.

Sultan Kabeer said currently Kedai Rempah Abe Kabie produces over 30 spices based on the recipes that he inherited from his late father.

“We produce various spices used in popular Kelantan dishes such as ‘gulai ayam cincang’, chicken and mutton kuzi and fried chicken for steamed rice (nasi kukus).  We also offer spices to make ‘nasi khao mok’, ‘nasi mandy’, ‘nasi beriani’, grilled fish, ‘roti john’, kebab, gravy for ‘nasi dagang’ and ‘nasi daging utara’,” he said.

“…coriander seeds, cumin seeds, aniseed, black pepper, cinnamon and others are purchased from Penang and Kuala Lumpur. I mix the spices according to the types of dishes for the Kelantanese palate before sending them to be ground at a mill in the Kota Bharu area,” he said.

The father of four also advises customers on the best method to use the spices in their recipes to ensure that the dishes are perfectly cooked.

Meanwhile, according to Muhd Firdaus, they have more than 50 loyal customers who also include sellers of the popular breakfast food ‘nasi berlauk’ (rice with fish and gravy) in Kelantan in addition to wedding caterers and Kelantanese who are living in other states.

Muhd Firdaus said he is expanding the business using social media.

“Currently 90 per cent of our customers are buying directly from the store, the remaining 10 per cent submit their orders through WhatsApp and social media,” he added. – BERNAMA

Zukri

Recent Posts

Hisense Enhances UEFA EURO 2024™ Excitement with Immersive Fan Zones

QINGDAO, China, June 23, 2024 /PRNewswire/ -- Hisense, a global home appliance and consumer electronics…

2 hours ago

Malaysia Airlines partners with Huawei to boost outbound travel market in China

KUALA LUMPUR -- Malaysia Airlines has forged a strategic partnership with Chinese tech giant Huawei to…

4 hours ago

Sg Bakap by-election: No early voting centre to open on July 2

NIBONG TEBAL -- No early voting centre will be opened on early voting day for the…

4 hours ago

PM Anwar: Govt committed to reducing carbon footprint, promoting sustainable practices

KUALA LUMPUR -- The MADANI government is committed to reducing the country’s carbon footprint and promoting…

4 hours ago

Loke: Driving institutes involved in corruption face licence cancellation

SEREMBAN -- Driving institutes (IM) have been warned not to be involved in illegal 'kopi O'…

5 hours ago

Portugal cruise into Euro 2024 knockout stages, Belgium bounce back

DORTMUND – Portugal outclassed Turkey to secure their place in the last 16 of Euro…

5 hours ago