JERUSALEM, Undefined – Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid’s office confirmed that an Egypt-brokered ceasefire ending three days of conflict with Palestinian Islamic Jihad militants in Gaza will come into force on Sunday night.
The premier’s office said in a statement that it “can confirm that a ceasefire will take effect tonight at 23:30 (2030 GMT). The State of Israel thanks Egypt for its efforts. If the ceasefire is violated, the State of Israel maintains the right to respond strongly.”
Cairo, a broker between Israel and armed Palestinian groups in the Gaza Strip, also negotiated a ceasefire that ended an 11-day war in the Palestinian enclave last year.
Air raid sirens continued to sound in several locations across southern Israel minutes before the truce was set to come into force.
Israel’s army also said it was striking Islamic Jihad targets in Gaza, moments after Lapid confirmed the truce deal. –AFP