About 167% increase in Covid cases since 5th epidemiological week

To date, the country reported 950 cases of Omicron variant involving 764 imported cases and 186 local transmissions cases

by TMR / pic by MUHD AMIN NAHARUL

MALAYSIA recorded a 167% increase in Covid-19 cases from 43,062 cases in the fifth epidemiological week (EW) to 115,032 cases in the sixth EW, Health DG Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said.

As of Feb 19, Malaysia reported 950 cases of Omicron variant involving 764 imported cases and 186 cases of local transmissions, he said in a statement yesterday.

Other Asean countries including Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines have also seen a rise in such cases.

According to Dr Noor Hisham, the results of SARS-CoV-2 genome surveillance data for the past six months from August 2021 to January 2022 recorded that Omicron variant comprised 80% of all genome sequencing results in Malaysia.

Although the Omicron variant causes milder symptoms and complications than other variants, he stressed the need to increase vaccination coverage nationwide to avoid widespread infection.

“Covid-19 Assessment Centre (CAC) services nationwide need to be optimised for the treatment of Categories 1 and 2A patients by increasing the virtual capacity of CACs as well as hospital service readiness in the treatment of patients in Category 2B and above,” he said.

Malaysia reported a total of 27,299 Covid-19 cases on Saturday, pushing the cumulative positive cases in the country to around 3.4 million.

Only 129 cases were of Categories 3, 4 and 5, while the majority of the cases, or 27,170, were in Categories 1 and 2.

“Of the 129 cases in Categories 3, 4 and 5, 32 were unvaccinated individuals or have yet to complete the vaccination, 71 were fully vaccinated but yet to receive the booster dose and 26 have received the booster dose,” he said.

As of Feb 26, a total of 1,624 cases were admitted to hospitals, of which 598 (36.8%) were in Categories 3, 4 and 5, while the remaining 1,026 (63.2%) were in Categories 1 and 2.

Some 22,710 cases of recoveries were reported, bringing the cumulative figure to be at least 3.06 million.

On the intensive care unit bed usage, Dr Noor Hisham said five states recorded bed usage of 50% or more, namely Kelantan (94%), Melaka (71%), Johor (67%), Kuala Lumpur (58%) and Putrajaya (50%).

Meanwhile, 43 deaths were reported, with 13 being brought-in-dead cases, increasing the total deaths in the country to 32,634.