Johor flood victims remain at 74

by BERNAMA

JOHOR BAHRU – The number of flood victims in Segamat remains at 74 people from 22 families as at 8 am today.

Johor Health and Environment Committee chairman R.Vidyananthan said they are from Kampung Kebangsaan Gemereh and are at a relief centre at Sekolah Agama Gemereh.

They have yet to return home because of the stagnant floodwater (banjir termenung) in their village, he said in a statement today.

Vidyananthan said the weather in Mersing was reported to be cloudy, while it was fine in the other nine districts.

Vidyananthan also advised residents staying near Sungai Bekok, Empangan Bekok in Batu Pahat to  remain vigilant as the river water was still at the alert level with a reading of 16.36 metres.

Segamat, the earliest to be affected by floods this year, received the highest amount of rainfall in Johor based on the readings recorded by rainfall stations from Dec 26 last year until Jan 1.