Payment for initiatives to help flood victims start today

I want this payment to be expedited…there are no forms that need to be filled in because the list is ready, says PM

by BERNAMA

PAYMENT for aid initiatives to ease the burden of flood victims start today, with the Prime Minister’s Department’s Implementation Coordination Unit (ICU) to channel the money to the district and land offices before being distributed to those involved, said Prime Minister (PM) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

He said the payment covered the contribution for the purchase of essential goods amounting to RM2,500, vehicle repair discount, a rebate of RM500 for the purchase of electrical goods and home repair assistance of between RM5,000 and RM15,000 for damage caused by the disaster.

“There are three methods of payment, namely to be given directly to the house (of recipients), or at the community hall and so on, or to be credited into the recipient’s account. We leave it to each district to discuss with the ICU in matters of payment.

“I want this payment to be expedited…there are no forms that need to be filled in because the list (of flood victims) is ready. Our principle is not to have a complicated bureaucracy. The assistance should be made easy,” he said.

Ismail Sabri said this at a press conference after presenting RM1,000 compassionate aid, Bantuan Wang Ihsan (BWI), from the federal government and RM500 contribution from the Pahang government to 478 flood victims in Bera, including 45 victims of the second wave of floods, at the Bera District Council Convention Hall on Saturday.

Ismail Sabri said the repair work on damaged houses, which involved appointing contractors, had already been implemented by the Public Works Department in Pahang, Negri Sembilan and Melaka.

As for vehicle repair assistance, Ismail Sabri said the district and land offices were also asked to list workshops in the affected areas so that flood victims did not have to go further to find vehicle service centres that may not be available in their areas.

On a related development, the PM said although the list of flood victims was already in the hands of the aid management — in the event that there were individuals who were left out — they were urged to refer to the district and land office, which was also responsible for investigating if there was any element of fraud in aid applications.

“District officer can check with the village head who has the information and there is a list of houses that were flooded or those who moved to relatives’ houses. If (they moved) to the temporary evacuation centre (PPS) then we already have a list (of flood victims).

“In villages, there are also village development and security committees and they can also submit the names to district officers. Hopefully, they and the village heads will help the government identify those affected by this disaster so that they will receive assistance,” he said.

Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri refuted allegations by some quarters that fast and large flood assistance dispensed is a sign that the general election is around the corner.

“It has nothing to do with the general election. When the people are facing hardship, it is the responsibility and obligation of the government to help. This is not only aid from the federal government as many state governments are also assisting. For example, the Pahang government also contributed cash donations.

“We also received the applications of several state governments which wish to help build houses. We need the assistance as some land involved is on a river reserve which we need the cooperation of the state government to look for other sites away from flood-prone areas,” he said.

Commenting on the payment of BWI, the PM said the payment process for the whole country is almost settled with 42,091 household heads (KIR) from 45,475 or 94.3% who evacuated to PPS having already received their money while those who did not relocate to PPS involved 8,631 KIR from 9,203 or 93.8%.