Rescue effort face difficulties from residents who refuse to leave their homes, but food distribution efforts remain ongoing
by SHAFIQQUL ALIFF / Pic by MUHD AMIN NAHARUL
SEVEN deaths were recorded so far due to the massive floods in Selangor, says Selangor fire and rescue director, Norazam Khamis.
Four deaths were reported in Taman Sri Muda, Shah Alam — one of the worst hit areas — while two bodies were uncovered in Sepang.
Out of four bodies in Sri Muda, three are locals who were believed to have drowned while one is a foreigner.
Yesterday, the body of a lorry driver was found dead and drowned in the lorry.
“Another two victims were found in Dengkil, Sepang and another one person is still missing,” he said.
At the same time, director of National Disaster Management Agency, Datuk Dr Aminuddin Hassim said, the agency also faced difficulties in rescuing flood victims when there were many residents who refused to leave their homes for fear of losing their belongings.
Those residents generally live in high areas such as flats and condominiums and his party had tried to persuade them but they refused.
“They just want us to help deliver the food and this will make the rescue even more difficult. We have to go back and forth to bring food while also rescuing victims.”
Earlier, Housing and Local Government Minister Datuk Seri Reezal Merican Naina Merican said a total of 321 personnel, including from the Fire and Rescue Department, police, army and related agencies have been mobilised to immediately evacuate flood victims at Taman Sri Muda.
“We have deployed 41 rescue boats, excluding boats from NGOs,” he said in a media conference.
According to Reezal Merican there are 4,400 houses in the housing area.
The minister noted that the rescue efforts are difficult but the food distribution efforts remain ongoing.
Separately, Bernama reported that the bodies of a man and two women, believed to be victims of the mud flood incident in Telemong, Pahang were found yesterday.
Fire and Rescue Department operations officer Mohd Sufian Yakob said the first body was found by the rescue team at 1pm, while the bodies of the two women were recovered at 1.20pm and 2pm respectively.
He said the bodies were found about two to 5km from the spot they were reported missing after being swept away by strong currents following the incident.
He added that the search and rescue operation was launched at 9am yesterday and covered an estimated radius of 5km.
On Sunday, Bentong District Police chief Supt Zaiham Mohd Kahar confirmed that they had received reports regarding the disappearance of five people in an incident at a village in Telemong.
Earlier, Telemong Volunteer Fire Brigade chairman Lai Wah Foong said the route to enter the scene was impassable following the landslide along the Kuala Lumpur-Karak Highway.