Floods: 17 bodies found in Selangor

By BERNAMA

SHAH ALAM, Dec 21 — The number of deaths due to floods in Selangor has increased to 17 people, including a volunteer, said Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari (picture).

He said at at 8 am today, 10 bodies were found in Klang; three in Hulu Langat dand four in Sepang.

“The state government conveys its condolences to the families of the victims concerned for having lost their loved ones,” he told a media conference today.

He said the cause of death of the victims concerned had yet to be ascertained.

The state government, he said, would contribute RM10,000 to each family who lost their loved one in the flood and RM1,000 to each family affected by the floods.

He said as of 8 am today, a total of 30,632 victims from 4,672 families have been evacuated to 203 relief centres (PPS) in Selangor.

“The number of victims is expected to increase because in some districts, the flood water is still rising, like in Kuala Langat, Kuala Selangor, and Sepang, and also those in places where the rescue team managed to reach, like Taman Sri Muda, Kampung Baru Hicom and Bukit Changgang,” he added.

He said for those who refused to evacuate, but opted to remain in their flooded homes, they had been informed of the risks.

“For them (those who refused to evacuate), we provide them food baskets,” he added.

Meanwhile, he said, Tabung Ikhtiar Selangor Bangkit would be established as a platform for Malaysians, especially private companies, individuals and government -linked companies to contribute to the restoration of areas affected by the floods.

“As an initial commitment, I will contribute one month of my salary to this fund,” he added.