Hishammuddin: Reports of Sulu army’s invasion plan taken seriously

By FAYYADH JAAFAR / FILE PIX

Defense Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein takes seriously reports of an invasion plan by the Sulu insurgents against Sabah.

At a press conference on Friday, he said the government is taking all necessary measures to ensure security in Sabah.

“We are aware of the reports about the Sulu army planning to attack Sabah but we must verify the truthfulness of these reports. 

“Hence, I have ordered an investigation into the matter. We will also increase our surveillance along the eastern coastline of Sabah,” he told reporters at his office.

He assured the people of Sabah that they would not face any danger or fear.

“I am personally acquainted with the situation in Sabah. The Lahad Datu incident remains a lesson for us. 

“Any information received from the public that may help us will be studied very carefully,” he added.

Hishammuddin added that the security of Sabah’s coast has been strengthened and the ministry is on the highest alert.

He also announced that the trilateral talks among Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines were back on track after being postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The Trilateral PCA (Partnership Council Agreement) is aimed at strengthening cooperation and coordination between the three countries in matters related to maritime security, law enforcement, disaster management, counter terrorism, border protection, anti-smuggling operations, search and rescue, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief.

“We must remember that the pandemic does not stop terrorists from carrying out their plans. 

“Therefore, we must remain vigilant and continue to strengthen our efforts against terror,” he said.

The minister also stated that the government will not tolerate any acts of sabotage or violence directed at Sabah.

On the current Cabinet’s 100-day performance report, Hishammuddin said he was still reviewing each of the presentations made at the Malaysian Family Aspirations programme. 

“I am proud to say that we will not be content with our achievements in just 100 days. 

“We have already started working towards the next action based on the budget presented in the Dewan Rakyat. I hope we can achieve more than what we have done so far,” he said.

The minister said clear direction, coordination among all stakeholders, and the policies regarding military strategy must be streamlined to improve efficiency, which is the purpose of the workshop.

The minister also said the government has been able to implement many of its initiatives despite the pandemic.