Court rejects Najib’s application to postpone SRC decision

by AZREEN HANI / pic by TMR FILE

FORMER Prime Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Najib Razak’s (picture) application to postpone the decision date for his appeal in the SRC International Sdn Bhd case has been rejected.

In a letter yesterday, the court registrar said that Najib’s application has been dismissed and that he will have to attend the proceeding on Dec 8 in the Appellate Court, Putrajaya.

It was reported that Najib had applied to the Appellate Court for the Dec 8 date to be vacated as he would be in Singapore until Dec 5.

He had requested for the decision to be fixed in the following week, on Dec 13 to Dec 18.

The Pekan MP sought to set aside conviction, 12 months jail sentence as well as RM210 million fine in this case.

The Appellate Court will deliver the verdict in Putrajaya at 9am by a three-member panel — Datuk Abdul Karim Abdul Jalil, Datuk Has Zanah Mehat and Datuk Vazeer Alam Mydin Meera.

In December last year, Najib stated 307 reasons in his petition of appeal against conviction and sentence in the SRC International case.

The 42-page appeal, which was filed on Oct 19, stated that Najib had failed to get a fair and just trial in the case.

Najib said Judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali had erred in his finding in deciding to call him to enter his defence on the charges of criminal breach of trust (CBT), power abuse and money laundering involving funds belonging to SRC International and in finding him guilty.

On July 28, 2020, Mohd Nazlan delivered his verdict that Najib was found guilty of all the seven charges in the RM42 million misappropriation of SRC International funds, ending over one year of court proceedings at the High Court.

Najib had been slapped with one count of abuse of position, three counts of CBT and three counts of money laundering of RM42 million belonging to SRC International, a former unit of 1Malaysia Development Bhd.