Selangor readies for Covid surge


SELANGOR Health Department is bracing for the surge in Covid cases as 80 percent of the ICU beds, totalling to 203 beds are currently in use.

According to Selangor Health Director Datuk Dr Sha’ri  Ngadiman, these beds are being filled by Covid and non-Covid cases.

He said that out of this figure, 42 percent or 86 beds involved Covid-19 cases. The remaining 58 percent or 117 beds are non-Covid cases.

“The increase in Covid-19 cases in Sg Buloh Hospital is mainly due to the fact that this is a full Covid-19 hospital as well as referral hospital for all hospitals in Selangor and the Klang Valley,”  he said.

Dr Sha’ri noted that 96 percent of ICU beds, or 54 beds, in Sg Buloh Hospital are occupied.

Additionally 92 percent of the 1,286 non-critical beds across Selangor were presently filled.

The statement was made a day after it was reported that the next wave of Covid infection is expected in December.

“As a precautionary measure to face the increasing Covid cases which require admission to Sungai Buloh Hospital, the Oxygen Gas System at the National Leprosy Control Center (PKKN) has been improved to accommodate Covid cases.

“On top of this Sungai Buloh Hospital is also supported by other hospitals in Klang Valley if needed to meet the needs of admission of COVID-19 cases to hospital or ICU,” said Dr Sha’ri.