by TMR / pic by AFP
ALL 49 Malaysians, including 25 students registered with the Malaysian Embassy in Sudan are safe, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Wisma Putra) said following large-scale protests in the country on Nov 30.
“Embassy officials maintain contact with them. One Malaysian left Sudan on Oct 28,” Wisma Putra said in a statement yesterday.
The ministry added that no Malaysian was directly affected in the protests.
“Seventeen Malaysians and one Thai staff member of Petronas continue to be accommodated at the Official Residence of the Ambassador. Malaysians in other locations have been advised to continue exercising heightened vigilance for their safety,” Wisma Putra added.
According to an AFP report, tens of thousands turned out across the country for last Saturday’s demonstrations, which came almost a week after last Monday’s power grab, when the military dissolved the government, declared a state of emergency and detained Sudan’s civilian leadership.
Demonstrations took place across the country during the day, from Khartoum to the eastern regions of Gedaref and Kassala and the Red Sea city of Port Sudan, as well as central North Kordofan state and southern White Nile state, witnesses and AFP correspondents said.
The move reportedly sparked a chorus of international condemnation, with world powers demanding a swift return to civilian rule.
The ministry has previously advised Malaysians requiring consular assistance in Sudan that they may contact the Embassy of Malaysia in Khartoum or Wisma Putra itself.
It also said that the Malaysian government will continue to undertake efforts to safeguard Malaysia’s interest in Sudan amid the news of military takeover in the country.
Wisma Putra said it is closely monitoring developments in the country.