by SHAFIQQUL ALIFF / pic by BERNAMA
THE Selangor government denied a report by a news portal on Tuesday that it had responded to the proposed construction of the East Coast Rail Link (ECRL) through the northern alignment.
Local Government and Public Transportation executive councillor Ng Sze Han said the state still stands by Part C of the ECRL construction, which remains along the southern alignment, including in the Kuala Langat area.
He said the stance is in line with the state’s economic development plan, including a few local authorities’ plans to develop the southern part of Selangor.
It involves, among others, the Sepang Municipal Council which has included the ECRL development and operations in its 2025 Local Plans.
“Similar preparations are also being made by other local councils to facilitate the construction of the ECRL through the southern alignment,” he said in a statement recently.
“It covers plans that were previously agreed by the state and federal governments in 2019.
“Through detailed planning, the operations of the ECRL in the southern area will bring economy to the people and a sustainable development for the state,” he added.
Ng said his party had decided, since the launch of the project in 2017, that the construction of the ECRL railway will not encroach on the Northern parts.
“Therefore, no approval whatsoever was given to build railways in the area. Instead, approval was given to the Malaysia Rail Link Sdn Bhd (MRL) last year for the southern alignment,” he added.
He also said on Jan 14 last year, MRL informed that the Mentakab-Pelabuhan Klang alignment which involves Negri Sembilan and Putrajaya will be displayed to the public for three months to gather feedback and suggestions.
“This shows that both parties are ready to execute the project as per agreement, which is through the southern part of Selangor.
“Therefore, the move to degazette a small portion of the Kuala Langat Utara Forest Reserve for the construction of the ECRL is in line with this stance,” Ng said.