Covid death toll nearing 15,000

Almost half of the new 265 deaths are identified in Selangor and KL

by TMR / pic by MUHD AMIN NAHARUL

MALAYSIA’S Covid-19 death toll is nearing the 15,000 level as the 265 deaths reported yesterday pushed the total fatalities to 14,818.

Almost half of the new deaths were identified in the Klang Valley, with 105 in Selangor and 18 in Kuala Lumpur (KL).

Out of the new deaths, 69 were brought-in-dead (BID) cases, involving 51 Malaysians and 18 non-Malaysians.

There were 22,642 new Covid-19 cases yesterday, with eight states and one federal territory reporting more than 1,000 Covid cases.

Selangor continued to top the daily new infections with 6,325 cases, followed by Sabah (3,224) and Kedah (2,279).

Other states or federal territory with high number of cases were Johor (1,832), Sarawak (1,667), Penang (1,427), Kelantan (1,424), Perak (1,390) and KL (1,128).

The number of active cases nationwide soared up to 264,292 cases, with 1,003 patients being treated in the intensive care, of whom 490 require respiratory assistance.

“In total, 18,143 cases (80.1%) of the total cases reported today had no or incomplete vaccination,” Health DG Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said.

Almost 98% of the new cases involved asymptomatic and mild symptom patients (Categories 1 and 2) and the remaining 2% involved severe to critical patients.

Up to 20,798 patients have recovered, pushing the number of total recoveries to 1.337 million.

Currently, the infectivity rate (RT) value in Malaysia is 1.02. The states that recorded the highest RT value were Perlis (1.28), followed by Sarawak (1.22) and Sabah (1.21). All states recorded RT values above 1.0 except Selangor, KL, Putrajaya, Labuan and Negri Sembilan.

There are now around 1.62 million confirmed cases in the country since the pandemic outbreak in March last year.

Meanwhile, Bernama reported that a total of 1,665 cases or 99.88% of the total 1,667 new Covid-19 cases in Sarawak were from Categories 1 and 2.

“There is one case (from new cases) in Category 4 (infection of the lungs requiring oxygen) and one case in Category 5 (lung infection requiring ventilator),” the state disaster management committee said in a statement.

The new cases brought the cumulative total positive cases in Sarawak to 103,048.

The committee also announced six new deaths yesterday taking the overall pandemic death toll to 508 people.

Additionally, the committee also declared a new community cluster, the Opar cluster, involving villagers of Kampung Opar in Bau.

“So far 66 individuals were positive including the index case from the screening of 131 individuals,” the statement read.

Separately, 10 localities in Sabah and one in Pahang will come under the Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) from tomorrow until Sept 9, while Johor’s Kampung Orang Asli will be under EMCO from today until Sept 8.