by LYDIA NATHAN / Pic by MUHD AMIN NAHARUL
THE walk-in initiative for Malaysians will continue at 13 selected vaccination centres (PPVs), the Covid-19 Immunisation Taskforce (CITF) said.
The government-led initiative had recently been expanded to PPVs’ nationwide earlier this month.
CITF said in a statement that the number of local walk-ins has been slowly decreasing since Aug 2, and the decision to narrow it down was made based on data collected.
This is in line with the number of Malaysians who had completed their jabs in recent months.
“The selected PPVs for walkin vaccinations include the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre, Axiata Arena Bukit Jalil, IDCC Shah Alam, Bangi Avenue Convention Centre, Wyndham Hotel Acmar Klang,
MBPJ Civic Hall Petaling Jaya, Kuala Selangor Indoor Stadium, Seri Bernam Hall and Kuala Langat Sports Complex,” it said.
Walk-ins for Le Pavilion Gamuda Garden and Bukit Beruntung Golf Resort will begin on Aug 25 while Galaxy Mall Ampang and Multimedia University Cyberjaya will begin on Aug 26, 2021.
Although the walk-in vaccinations in other states will continue, it would be by the prerogative of the respective states.
CITF said walk-ins will be based on a first-come-first-serve basis and individuals will need to bring a form of proof that they reside within the Klang Valley.
Meanwhile, it said walk-in vaccinations for foreigners at the Bukit Jalil National Stadium PPV will end today.
“Foreigners wanting to get their vaccinations will now need to make an appointment first. The process has been good so far, but we want to ensure it is conducted in a safe and secure manner,” CITF said.
Last Friday, Malaysiakini reported that CITF have asked Selangor state government, in a letter dated Aug 19, to close 29 PPVs in the state, with the closures to be made throughout August until September.
Out of the 29 PPVs, a few had closed before the CITF letter to Selangor, one yesterday and one today, while 17 will be closed tomorrow and the rest to follow suit throughout August, with a remaining four to close throughout September.
Selayang MP William Leong Jee Keen said in a statement yesterday that the government should reconsider its decision to close the PPVs until 100% of the people in Selangor have been fully vaccinated.
“This 100% figure must be based on the actual population including those who have yet to register for the vaccination and also foreigners, both legal and illegal.
“It is inhumane to close the 29 vaccination centres and those by general practitioner clinics and private hospitals on the basis of saving costs when more than half of the population have not completed both doses,” Leong said.