New record of 21,668 infections

Yesterday also saw 318 deaths with a record 93 BID cases as 7 states report 4-digit figures

by SHAFIQQUL ALIFF / pic by MUHD AMIN NAHARUL

MALAYSIA reached a new high of 21,668 new Covid-19 cases yesterday, breaking Aug 6’s record of 20,889.

This brought the country’s cumulative cases to 1.34 million, of which 237,021 are active cases with 1,059 in intensive care units and 543 patients requiring respiratory assistance.

In his statement yesterday, Health DG Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said a total of 318 deaths were recorded with 93 brought-in-dead (BID) cases.

“Seven states reported four-digit figures with Selangor remaining on top with 6,278 cases, while Kuala Lumpur recorded 2,436 cases and Kedah 2,143 cases, followed by Sabah (2,052), Johor (1,706), Penang (1,229) and Sarawak (1,216),” he said.

This was a record high for Sarawak’s daily cases.

Other high numbers were recorded in Kelantan (972), Perak (930), Melaka (494), Pahang (629) and Terengganu (594), while Putrajaya posted 56 cases, Perlis (23) and Labuan (11).

“From the new cases, 440 (2.1%) are in Categories 3, 4 and 5, while 21,228 cases (97.9%) are in Categories 1 and 2.

“Overall, only 2,720 cases (12.6%) of the new cases had completed their vaccination and two weeks had passed since their second injections,” Dr Noor Hisham added.

He also announced that 45 new clusters were identified and with the expiration of 2,798 clusters, there are now 1,281 active Covid-19 clusters in the country.

Meanwhile, 17,687 Covid-19 patients had recovered yesterday.

In a separate press conference, Selangor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari said Selangor expects Categories 3 and 4 cases to decline by the end of this month, in line with the increase in the number of vaccine recipients in the state.

“As of Aug 11, a total of 5.76 million doses had been administered to Selangor residents through vaccination centres in the state under the National Covid-19 Immunisation Programme and Selangor vaccination programme,” he said.

On movement restriction orders, 14 localities in Sabah, Kelantan, Pahang and Sarawak will be placed under the Enhance Movement Control Order (EMCO) for two weeks starting tomorrow (Aug 14) until Aug 27.

Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said the EMCO in Sabah involves two localities in Keningau and one each in Kota Kinabalu, Sipitang and Kota Belud.

The EMCO in Kelantan involves five villages in Pasir Mas and Kampung Kubang Sawa in Tumpat.

For Pahang, the EMCO will be for Kampung Bongkok, Bera, and Kampung Gadak, Rompin.

“The EMCO from this Saturday will also involve the workers’ quarters of Sri Datai Mining Sdn Bhd in Mukah, Sarawak,” Hishammuddin said.

On Aug 11, 60 construction and business premises were ordered to halt operations following violations of the standard operating procedure.