by NURUL SUHAIDI / pic by AFP
SOME 70 deaths involving pregnant women due to Covid-19 were reported until Aug 9, compared to zero deaths last year, Health DG Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said.
“From March 2020 to June 2021, a total of 3,396 Covid-19 cases were reported among pregnant women in Malaysia,” Dr Noor Hisham said, adding that it is estimated that almost 1% of pregnant women in Malaysia are infected with the virus.
“The number of reported cases is increasing starting Oct 2020, with an average of 200 cases of infection per month where a surge of cases can be seen in May 2021 (a total of 850 cases) and June 2021 (a total of 899 cases),” he added.
The increasing trend of cases among pregnant women is in tandem with the increase in the number of Covid-19 cases in Malaysia as a whole.
The percentage of Covid-infected pregnant women receiving intensive care has also increased from 3% on July 10, 2021, to 5.3% on Aug 7, 2021.
As of Aug 8, 2021, a total of 146,759 pregnant mothers have registered on the MySejahtera application to get the vaccine, since the immunisation campaign began at the end of June 2021.
“Of that number, a total of 83,251 (57%) pregnant women have received at least one dose of the vaccine. As many as 20% of pregnant women have received two doses of the vaccine,” Dr Noor Hisham said.
However, the percentage of pregnant women who register to get the vaccine on the MySejahtera application is still low at 40%.
Malaysia detected 20,780 new Covid-19 cases as of noon yesterday, bringing the total number of positive cases to around 1.32 million. Selangor still contributed the highest daily case transmission with 6,921 cases followed by Kuala Lumpur (2,065) and Johor (1,693).
Five other states reported more than 1,000 cases were Kedah (1,534), Sabah (1,514), Penang (1,385), Kelantan (1,284) and Negri Sembilan (1,015). Up to 17, 973 patients recovered, pushing the total recoveries to at least 1.07 million.
Currently, there are 233,358 active cases in the country, with 1,053 patients being treated in the intensive care units and 546 intubated.
On the security front, Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) will be extended or imposed in several localities in Sabah and Kelantan until Aug 26.
Separately, Hishammuddin also announced the ending of the EMCO in several localities in Sabah, Kelantan, Pahang and Sarawak today.
“Under Ops Benteng, 918 roadblocks were implemented nationwide on Tuesday (Aug 8),” he said.
On the same day, another 33-business premises were also ordered to close due to standard operating procedures compliance issues, with 190 people arrested and 173 being given a compound.