by RAHIMI YUNUS/ pic by BERNAMA
THE King has confirmed that he did not consent to the revocation of the six Emergency Ordinances (EOs) done through a Cabinet meeting on July 21.
The Palace spokesperson said the Yang di-Pertuan Agong Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah is “very disappointed” with the move.
According to the palace, what had been consented to and agreed between Law Minister Datuk Seri Takiyudin Hassan and Attorney-General Tan Sri Idrus Harun in a virtual meeting on July 24 with the King was for all the proposals to rescind the EOs to be tabled and debated in the Parliament.
“The King asserts that the statement made by the minister in the Parliament on July 26 were inaccurate and had confused MPs,” Comptroller of the Royal Household Datuk Ahmad Fadil Shamsuddin said in a statement today.
He further said the proposals to revoke all the EOs effective July 21, which was made in a hurry without a Parliament debate, had failed to uphold the National Principles (Rukun Negara) and bypassed the role and power of the King as the Supreme Head of the Federation under the Constitution.
On Day 1 of the special Parliament session recently, Takiyuddin claimed all six EOs that were introduced under Article 150 (3) of the Federal Constitution were revoked at a Cabinet meeting on July 21.
Many quarters have questioned the legality of the action and its implication to the state of the nation.