JOHOR BAHRU – The 10th edition of the Sultan of Johor Cup Hockey (SOJC) tournament, which will be participated by eight countries and is scheduled to take place in September this year at the Taman Daya Hockey Stadium here, had to be postponed again due to the high number of COVID-19 cases in the country.
Johor Hockey Association president Datuk Majid Manjit Abdullah said, however, it is expected to be held early next year.
“The tournament is supposed to take place this September but we have to make a decision and tell the countries involved its has to be put off due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“The new dates are expected to be at the beginning of next year, either in January or February,” he told Bernama when contacted here today.
He said eight countries had confirmed participation in the 10th edition of the SOJC, besides Malaysia, the other countries being India, Australia, Great Britain, Japan, South Africa, Egypt and Canada.
“All these countries had confirmed their participation since April and there are three countries that will be making their debut, namely Egypt, Canada and South Africa,” he said.
This 10th edition was previously scheduled to take place from Oct 3 to 10 last year, but on June 3 last year it was postponed to September this year after the organisers took into account the COVID-19 pandemic situation in the country and the world.
AirAsia calls for standardised global protocols to facilitate cross-border air travel recovery