A total of 459 patients are on the ventilator, while a total of 60 fatalities have been recorded
by NUR HAZIQAH A MALEK / pic by MUHD AMIN NAHARUL
MALAYSIA recorded 4,949 new Covid-19 cases yesterday, after a few weeks of recording numbers above 5,000. The new cases have brought the total active cases to 71,625.
Health DG Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said out of the total of current active cases, 921 are being treated in the intensive care units.
“A total of 459 patients are on the ventilator, while a total of 60 fatalities have also been recorded,” he said in a statement yesterday.
The fatalities comprised of 18 cases in Selangor, nine in Johor, eight in Kuala Lumpur, seven in Negri Sembilan, six in Sarawak, four in Labuan, two each in Penang and Kelantan and one each in Sabah, Terengganu, Perak and Melaka.
The highest number of new cases came from Selangor with 1,523, followed by Sarawak at 744 and Kuala Lumpur with 503, while the lowest numbers were seen in Perlis with one, Putrajaya with 10 and Pahang with 61 cases.
The Sarawak Health Department yesterday announced two more new clusters involving the longhouse communities of Sungai Sentebu in Sarikei district and Ulu Sangan in Tatau.
The State Disaster Management Committee (JPBN) in a statement said the Sungai Sentebu Cluster is linked to social gatherings during the Hari Gawai celebration on May 31.
It said 69 individuals in this cluster were screened with 48 of them detected to be positive for Covid-19 including the index case, while 21 were found to be negative.
On the Ulu Sangan Cluster, JPBN said 59 individuals were screened with 12 of them detected to be positive while 47 were still waiting for the lab test results.
In addition, a total of 6,588 cases have recovered nationwide and were discharged from treatment.
Meanwhile, the authorities have detained a total of 958 individuals for breaching the standard operating procedures on Sunday, out of which 910 were compounded, 47 remanded and one guaranteed.
Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the most committed offence is failure to observe physical distance (232), followed by interstate travel without permission and eating at premises (196), and not wearing face masks (135),” he said in a statement yesterday.
For the mandatory quarantine, a total of 516 individuals have arrived from international borders on Sunday, increasing the total number of individuals who have arrived to 226,024 since July 24 last year.
“From the number, a total of 8,509 individuals have been quarantined and 214,837 individuals were allowed to return home while 2,678 were sent to hospitals for treatments,” he said.
In addition, 19 foreign workers have undergone the Covid-19 screening on Sunday, with no positive case recorded.
“Cumulatively, the Ministry of Human Resources have informed that a total of 698,996 of foreign workers have undergone the screening test, involving 36,236 employers.
“From the total, as many as 10,351 individuals have been confirmed positive for Covid-19 while 688,645 were negative,” he said.
To-date, a total of 1,544 clinics are involved in the screening programme.