KEDAH Mentri Besar (MB) Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor (picture) is prepared to face possible legal action if found guilty in connection to the alleged test driving of a car at a vehicle sales and exhibition centre at Autocity Juru, Penang, on Saturday.
Sanusi said it was not up to netizens, his haters nor supporters to decide if he was right or wrong in this matter, but rather the established law enforcement system in the country.
“I am not saying that I am not wrong, but if there is a breach of standard operating procedures, it is a serious case and I apologise because it happened by chance,” he said in a press conference after visiting the Covid-19 Quarantine and Treatment Centre at the Al Farabi Hall, Education Complex yesterday.
He was asked to comment on visuals that had gone viral allegedly showing himself and several other individuals test-driving a car at a vehicle sales and exhibition centre at a time when the country was under total lockdown.
Commenting on the incident, Muhammad Sanusi said he was on his way to Kuala Lumpur to attend a meeting accompanied by an escort officer and driver.
He said when he arrived at the area, he decided to stop to purchase some food at a convenience store as he was worried that he would not be able to stop to eat on his way to the capital.
“After stopping at the store, I asked my driver to buy some bread and mineral water and I realised there were a lot of cars there, so I got down (from my vehicle) to take a look, and greeted a salesman who was there.
“The car sales gallery was closed, but there was a salesman so I asked him about the cars there, and did not realise the incident was being recorded by an individual and later made viral,” he said.
Muhammad Sanusi said he was also willing to help pay the compounds for his driver, escort officer and the salesman if they were found guilty and compounded as he felt the incident happened because he greeted the salesman.
Commenting on the Toyota Vellfire vehicle belonging to Syarikat Air Darul Aman Sdn Bhd which he used to travel to Kuala Lumpur, Muhammad Sanusi said he was eligible to use it as chairman of the company.
Meanwhile, Seberang Perai Tengah police chief ACP Shafee Abd Samad said the police had recorded the statement of the MB and four other individuals to assist with the investigation.
“So far, a total of five people have recorded evidence including the MB, and the police are still in the process of completing the investigation.
“Once the investigation paper is ready, we will immediately refer it to the deputy public prosecutor’s office for further action,” he said when contacted by Bernama on Sunday.