Daily cases dipped below 6,000 after 19 straight days of surpassing that mark since May 19
by BERNAMA / pic by MUHD AMIN NAHARUL
MALAYSIA reported the highest number of Covid-19 recoveries yesterday with 7,548 cases, bringing the total recovered cases nationwide to 534,357.
The number of new cases also declined for the fourth consecutive day with 5,271 cases, from Sunday’s 6,241 cases.
It was the first time that daily cases dipped below 6,000 after 19 straight days of surpassing that mark since May 19.
Health DG Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah in a Twitter posting, said this brings active cases to 84,269 and the cumulative figure for positive cases in Malaysia to 622,086.
Selangor again topped the daily cases list with 1,374, followed by Sarawak (703), Negri Sembilan (571), Kuala Lumpur (455), Johor (355), Kelantan (341), Sabah (336), Labuan (209) and Kedah (194).
Melaka recorded had 178 cases followed by Perak (177), Penang (153), Terengganu (117), Pahang (99), Putrajaya (eight) and Perlis (one).
As of yesterday, 902 patients were admitted into intensive care units while 447 required breathing aids.
Dr Noor Hisham also announced that 23 new clusters were detected yesterday, of which 16 are related to workplaces.
There were 82 Covid-19 deaths yesterday, bringing the total fatalities to 3,460.
Meanwhile, Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said not updating one’s MySejahtera app is not an offence.
He said of late, there had been confusion regarding the use of the app where some enforcement officers issued compounds on those who had not updated their MySejahtera app.
“I urge any compounds that have been issued regarding this to be cancelled.
“Officers must not misunderstand or misinterpret the standard operating procedures,” he said in a statement yesterday.
He added that this includes the matter where if a company operates beyond the stipulated hours, action must be taken on the company, not on the employees who are working beyond the allowed time.
“The employees have not committed any offence as they are only following orders from their employers,” he said.
Separately, media personnel registered under the National Covid-19 Vaccination Programme (NCIP) will receive their vaccinations beginning tomorrow.
The programme’s Coordinating Minister Khairy Jamaluddin Abu Bakar said appointment dates started to be released yesterday.
“Some will start receiving their appointment dates yesterday and vaccination will start on Wednesday.
“However, the number of vaccine recipients among the media has not been finalised yet and we are still looking into it,” he told reporters after visiting the KLCC vaccination centre yesterday.
Last month, Khairy announced that more than 5,000 media practitioners will receive their Covid-19 vaccination appointment dates in June.
On the KLCC vaccination centre, Khairy said operations are structured and vaccine recipients who are among the elderly expressing satisfaction with the processes.
“We will also look at the possibility of doubling the number of vaccine recipients from time to time at this centre, maybe between 10,000 and 15,000 people but it depends on the smoothness of the vaccination process,” he said.
On the issue of some senior citizens’ refusal to receive the AstraZeneca vaccine, Khairy said he would advise them to take the vaccine that has been offered to them.
“For those who do not attend the scheduled appointment, they will get another appointment and will be reminded that they cannot choose the type of vaccine. So, my advice is to take any type of vaccine that is being offered,” he said.
More on vaccination, some private hospitals nationwide started administering Covid-19 vaccine doses to the general public yesterday following the government’s decision to allow private hospitals to be used as vaccination centres, in phases two and three of the NCIP.
Meanwhile, about 1,000 residents of the Kampung Muhibbah people’s housing project in Kuala Lumpur yesterday received the Covid-19 vaccine through the MYMedic@Wilayah Vaccine Mobile Truck pioneer project.
Federal Territories Minister Tan Sri Annuar Musa said the programme was aimed at curbing the spread of the virus in densely populated areas.