The decision comes after the city-state was listed as one of the countries reporting the spread of SARS-CoV-2 VOC in the community
by S BIRRUNTHA / pic by TMR FILE
THE Ministry of Health (MoH) announced that the Reciprocal Green Lane (RGL) scheme between Malaysia and Singapore will be temporarily suspended at the Malaysian level starting Thursday.
Health DG Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said travellers from Singapore who wish to enter Malaysia for business purposes must use the one-stop centre channel provided by the Malaysian Investment Development Authority.
He added that the special meeting with the National Security Council (NSC) last Friday agreed to list Singapore as one of the countries reporting the spread of variant of concern (VOC), SARS-CoV-2, in the community.
“In line with this development, the NSC has decided that all travellers entering Malaysia from Singapore using the periodic communicating arrangement scheme must undergo mandatory quarantine for 14 days at quarantine stations gazetted by the government starting Thursday.
“Travellers from Singapore are also subject to the entrance standard operating procedures for travellers from countries reporting SARS-CoV-2 VOC transmission in the community,” he said in his Covid-19 statement yesterday.
Previously, the Singapore Health Ministry issued a report involving the cases of South African variant B.1.351, UK variant B.1.1.7, Brazilian variant B.1.1.28, including variant of interest from India namely B.1.617.1.
“The MoH will constantly update the list of countries with SARS-CoV-2 VOC transmission in the community and inform the public from time to time,” Dr Noor Hisham said.
As of yesterday, Malaysia reported a total of 3,807 new Covid-19 cases, bringing the total confirmed cases in the country to 444,484.
Selangor continued reporting the highest number of cases at 1,149, followed by Sarawak with 649 cases, Kelantan (329) Kuala Lumpur (320), Johor (257) and Penang (245).
There are now 37,396 active Covid-19 cases that are being treated at health facilities nationwide. A total of 434 patients are currently seeking treatment in the intensive care units (ICUs), with 224 of them requiring respiratory aid.
Seventeen new deaths were also reported yesterday, increasing the number of total fatalities to 1,700, while 3,454 recoveries were recorded, bringing the recovery tally to 405,388 cases.
Separately, Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob announced yesterday that Felda Kahang Timur in Kluang, Johor, and Kampung Bako Hilir in Kuching, Sarawak, will be placed under the Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) starting tomorrow until May 25.
He added that Mukim Hulu Besut in Terengganu will be placed under the MCO, which will begin today until May 20, due to increasing cases in the locality.
“EMCO in Felda Umas, Kalabakan, Sabah, has been extended until May 25 after the MoH reported that there is still a continuous spread of infection in the area and there are remaining screening samples that have not received results.”
Meanwhile, the EMCOs in Maahad Tahfiz Al-Azhari in Machang, Kelantan; Kampung Bangkahulu in Gemas, Negri Sembilan; PPR Batu 2, Lorong Habib Abdul Rahman and PPR Batu 8, Jalan Apas in Tawau and Kompleks Abedon (Bumiwealth, Kolopis and Tanaki) in Kinabatangan, Sabah; and SMK Ulu Balingian in Sibu, Sarawak, will end today.