Kelantan allocates RM1.5m to help affected traders

by BERNAMA

THE Kelantan government has allocated RM1.5 million for traders affected by the cancellation of Ramadhan bazaars throughout the state.

State Local Government, Housing and Health Committee chairman Dr Izani Husin (picture) said the allocation is for 2,500 traders registered with the local authorities and it would be distributed soon.

He said this had been agreed upon by Kelantan Mentri Besar Datuk Ahmad Yakob and Deputy Mentri Besar Datuk Mohd Amar Nik Abdullah in a discussion this morning.

“We hope this (allocation) will help ease the burden of some traders affected by the decision, while the traders who have already bought the raw or dried materials can trade in other places,” he said at a press conference in Kota Baru yesterday.

Dr Izani said the rentals for stalls at the Ramadhan bazaar sites would also be returned to the traders who have already made payments.

Asked if the Ramadhan bazaars would reopen once the (Covid-19) situation is under control, he said the bazaars would not operate during the month of Ramadhan.

“We are happy there was a drop in Covid-19 cases on Monday in Kelantan, but as it is a community infection, we expect the cases to continue to increase.

“What worries me is that the Conditional Movement Control Order (MCO) could change to MCO in Kelantan,” he added, urging the people to adhere to the standard operating procedures to curb the spread of Covid-19.