YPM looking for industry partners to offer jobs to B40 students

This initiative is to ensure graduate employability in a tight labour market, says YPM’s Mohd Nizar

by NUR HANANI AZMAN / graphic by MZUKRI MOHAMAD

YAYASAN Pelajaran Mara (YPM) is looking to partner industry players to provide students from B40 (bottom 40%) households with job opportunities.

Considering the current unemployment rate, YPM executive chairman Datuk Dr Mohd Nizar Sudin said this latest initiative is to ensure graduate employability in a tight labour market.

He believes industry partnership will provide students with job placement opportunities, internships and hands-on training to help them develop the working skills they need to be job-ready graduates.

“We spoke to a few industry leaders. At the moment, we have partners from the automotive and aerospace industries.

“Moving forward, YPM continues to aggressively look for more partners,” he said at the Appreciation and Pre-Graduation Hi-Tea 2021 of the Malaysia Japan Higher Education Programme (MJHEP) yesterday.

On the heels of tough economic times, Mohd Nizar said it is important for universities to equip students with entrepreneurial skills and help them create jobs.

“The world is moving forward very fast and jobs are changing with the current situation, hence, graduates need to be more creative rather than looking for monotonous jobs.

“They must use what they have learned and adapt,” he added.

The MJHEP event celebrated 59 students and staff who have contributed in ensuring MJHEP’s academic and administrative education is implemented according to Japanese university standards.

Full scholarship by the government to Bumiputera students to further their studies in Japan through the Japanese Associate Degree and MJHEP programmes started in 1993, in line with the implementation of the Look East Policy.

The MJHEP period includes three years of study in Malaysia at the diploma level and two years of the degree level in Japan.

The current group of students is expected to graduate in Japan in 2023. The MJHEP programme has produced a total of 1,850 graduates of which 97% are working as engineers, engineering lecturers and researchers, while the remaining 3% are in other occupations.

Prof Dr Ir Khairul Salleh Mohamad Sahari, a graduate of this programme, has held the position of deputy CEO (quality assurance) at the Malaysian Qualifications Agency.

The Japanese government recognised MJHEP as one of its higher education programmes in Malaysia in conjunction with 60 years of bilateral relations with Malaysia.

It also gained recognition from 24 consortiums of Japanese universities and assessment by Ex Post JICA Evaluation Report Overall with Rating A.