DOSH investigation on latest SUKE incident out in a month

by RAHIMI YUNUS / pic by ARIF KARTONO

THE Department of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) has commenced further investigation on the fallen launching gantry incident at the Sungai Besi-Ulu Kelang Elevated Expressway (SUKE) construction site, Package CA3, that happened on Monday.

It said the investigation is expected to be completed in a month involving observation and scrutiny at the scene, taking witness statements and performing forensic engineering analysis.

“Further legal action will be taken based on the results of the detailed investigation,” DOSH said in a statement yesterday.

It said among the actions that can be taken is prosecution under the provisions of Sections 15 and 17 of the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1994, which state the general duties of employers and self-employed persons to their employees to ensure the safety, health and welfare at work of all his employees, affected by work activities carried out.

The maximum penalty for an offence under both sections is a fine not exceeding RM50,000 or two years imprisonment, or both if convicted.

Besides that, DOSH said the stop-work notice issued by the department will only be revoked after the employer takes corrective action and comprehensive control measures to prevent accidents.

The department added that it conducted 14,786 OSH inspections in the construction sector last year.

Of the total, 5,117 notices, 404 compounds and 73 prosecution cases were undertaken with penalties of about RM1.7 million in total.

“DOSH takes seriously every accident at work, whether it involves employees or the public. Employers have controls and are responsible to identify in advance the hazards in the workplace, assess risks and subsequently take effective risk control measures before employees carries out work activities.

“This is to reduce safety and health risks to employees and prevent the occurrence of accidents or occupational diseases,” the department said in a statement yesterday.

It reminded all stakeholders in the construction industry including clients, designers and contractors to emphasise OSH aspects as early as the project design stage.

The agency also said it will continue field monitoring by using the latest technology applications and will not hesitate to take stern action against any party, including developers and contractors who are found to be neglecting OSH aspects.

Three Chinese workers at the SUKE construction site in Alam Damai, Cheras, Kuala Lumpur, were killed in the latest incident after one component of the crane fell from the elevated highway.

It also caused one driver under the construction site to be severely injured by the crane component, the project owner Projek Lintasan Sungai Besi-Ulu Kelang Sdn Bhd said in a statement.


Read our previous report here

Allow independent parties to probe SUKE incidents