by NUR HANANI AZMAN / pic by TMR FILE
MALAYSIA recorded 1,354 new Covid-19 cases yesterday, a slight drop from Saturday’s 1,470, and four new deaths.
Health DG Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah (picture) said as of noon yesterday, 1,782 cases had recovered, bringing the cumulative figure for recoveries to 306,274, while the death toll is 1,210.
He said the latest fatalities all involved Malaysian men aged between 27 and 87 who had chronic diseases.
“Of the new cases today, 1,340 are local transmissions involving 1,042 Malaysians and 298 foreigners, while 14 are imported cases.
“158 cases are under intensive care with 71 requiring ventilator support,” he said in a statement yesterday.
Selangor continued to top new cases with 577, followed by Sarawak (178) and Penang (154). Dr Noor Hisham said three new clusters were detected in the 24-hour period, two at workplaces and one in the community.
There are now 424 active clusters with the highest increases recorded at the Tembok Tapah cluster with 57 cases, Jalan Kebun Nenas cluster (30 cases) and Rawang Bestari cluster (28).
Separately, the government announced that the Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) will be enforced on Kampung Lingkudau, Keningau, Sabah, from today until March 28. Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the decision was made after the risk evaluation carried out by various agencies and on the advice of the Health Ministry (MoH).
He said as at last Friday, the MoH has implemented 102 screening tests and out of that number, 19 positive cases have been recorded in Kampung Lingkudau, Keningau.
“MoH confirmed there was a sharp increase of cases in this locality with high infectious rates in the community.
“The implementation of EMCO is to facilitate the MoH to carry out targeted screening on all residents involved and to control the spread of infection in the community,” he said in a statement.
Meanwhile, EMCO on Kuarters Sri Jelutung, Mukim Bebar in Pekan (Pahang) ended earlier than scheduled (March 19).
To date, MoH has conducted 80 screening tests and out of that number, cumulatively a total of four cases were recorded.
MoH confirmed all the results of the second sample for a total of 76 close contacts people are negative and no more samples await results.
On Saturday, a total of 337 individuals were arrested for violating the standard operating procedures (SOPs) and of that number, 289 were compounded and 48 were remanded.
“Among the offences include no physical distancing (109), entertainment centre activities (72), failing to provide registration equipment to record customer details (55), interstate crossing without permission (42), not wearing face mask (41) and others (18),” said the minister.
Also, a total of 802 individuals arrived at all international entrances and all were sent to quarantine stations across the country.
On inspections at construction sites, he said a total of 14 inspections were carried out by the Construction Industry Development Board of Malaysia (CIDB).
“The results of the inspection found that all 14 construction sites have complied with the SOPs. In total, CIDB has conducted 16,143 inspections involving 9,141 construction sites since April 20, 2020,” he added.
Meanwhile, a total of 2,909 foreign workers were screened for Covid-19 on Saturday, and out of that figure, only eight tested positive for the virus.
Cumulatively, the Human Resources Ministry has reported that 615,980 foreign workers have been tested so far involving 31,921 employers.
Of this number, 9,699 migrant workers tested positive, while 606,281 were negative.
To date, a total of 1,520 clinics were involved in the mass screening exercise.
Read our previous report here