by S BIRRUNTHA / pic by MUHD AMIN NAHARUL
INTER-DISTRICT travel movement in all states throughout the country, except for Sabah, will be allowed from March 5.
Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob, however, said the permission to cross states is still off the table.
“In regards to Sabah, the state government is requesting that the inter-district travel restrictions be maintained in the state for two weeks.
“We understand Sabah is a big state where one of their districts is bigger than most states in the peninsula,” he said in a press conference yesterday.
He added that any decision to allow interstate movement will be made based on the risk assessment from the Ministry of Health, only if the number of Covid-19 cases drop to two figures.
Ismail Sabri said the Movement Control Order (MCO) for the states of Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Johor has also been lifted as new Covid-19 cases are seen to be on a decline.
The four states will move into Conditional MCO (CMCO) from March 5 until March 18.
Meanwhile, the status of six CMCO states — namely Melaka, Pahang, Terengganu, Sabah, Putrajaya and Labuan — will be changed to Recovery MCO (RMCO).
Kedah, Kelantan, Negri Sembilan, Sarawak and Perak will remain under CMCO, while Perlis will remain under RMCO.
The implementation of CMCO and RMCO for all these states is effective from March 5 until March 18, except for Sarawak from March 2 until March 15.
Ismail Sabri said social events such as weddings, receptions, prayers, reunions, feasts and birthday celebrations are also now allowed to be held in compliance with standard operating procedures (SOPs).
He added that the attendance limit for CMCO areas is 50% of the size of premises, while for RMCO, areas, the attendance limit is up to the size of the premises with physical distancing.
“Outdoor weddings are also allowed, but everyone must comply with physical distancing rules. Events such as seminars, courses, trainings, face-to-face talks, exhibitions, trade activities and conventions are also allowed with the SOPs set,” he said.
The government has also allowed some sports and team recreational activities including the organisation of tournaments and local competitions to be held without supporters or spectators.
All types of events, shows, filming, live performances in the creative industry including music, acting, comedy, performing arts, culture, heritage, multimedia and live streaming at halls, auditoriums, art premises, convention centres, stadiums and studios are allowed without the presence of audience.
The number of personnel — management, artists and crew size — are limited to 70% of the normal capacity implemented in CMCO areas and 100% capacity for RMCO areas.
Tourism activities in CMCO areas are now allowed to operate at 50% capacity and for RMCO areas, it is up to the size of the premises.
All businesses under the services and retail sectors are also allowed to reopen as announced by the government previously.
Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri said nightclub visitors, quarantined individuals and those who commit repeated offenses during the MCO period will be considered for a maximum compound of up to RM10,000.
He said the police will not be handing out RM10,000 fines for simple offences such as not wearing a face mask or not practicing social distancing.
This is according to the new Emergency Ordinance 2021 (Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases) published on the Federal Gazette website.
The ordinance also states that companies who violated MCO regulations will be liable to a maximum fine of up to RM50,000. The new rules will come into effect on March 11.