Sunway Lagoon to open night park, extends operating hours

The extension of travel restrictions under MCO 2.0 has put theme park operators in a vulnerable position, with zero income and visitors

By ASILA JALIL / Pic By MUHD AMIN NAHARUL

SUNWAY Lagoon will extend its operation hours and introduce a new night park, expected in May, to tap into pent-up demand for amusement parks when the Movement Control Order (MCO 2.0) restrictions ease.

The extension of travel restrictions under the MCO 2.0 has put theme park operators in a vulnerable position, leaving many with zero income and visitors.

Sunway Theme Parks ED Calvin Ho said the group plans to leverage an 80-acre (32.4ha) land area it owns to create an evening outdoor attraction to lure more visitors once Sunway Lagoon reopens.

“We have an open area and we want customers to have a new experience in a different environment. There will be all kinds of entertainment prepared at the night park, including dancers.

“This would be great for those who want to spend the whole day at the theme park,” he told The Malaysian Reserve in an interview recently.

Ho said the night park would include several new theme park rides and live performances, such as a fire show, to light up the night.

Sunway Lagoon has remained closed since the start of MCO 2.0 on Jan 13. Further extensions to current restrictions are expected to keep its business shuttered.

The park normally operates until 6pm, but the introduction of the night park upon the lifting of the MCO, will see its business hours extended until 11pm.

Ho said the group had taken the opportunity to refurbish the theme park throughout the period it was forced to close.

“We painted and refurbished our theme parks including Lost World of Tambun in Sunway City in Ipoh, Perak. It has a new brighter look, which is all-around nicer. “Leveraging the opportunity of this intermission, our team has been reimagining the idea of play and recreating trust for our guests in a vast outdoor space.

“For instance, our various talents were redeployed into constructing new attractions and beautifying both the Sunway Lagoon and Lost World of Tambun theme parks,” he said.

Ho added that the theme parks operated for only four months in 2020 as the number of cases surged by end of the year right after the two parks reopened in December.

Although the government had allowed for theme parks to operate with a 50% maximum capacity last year, Ho said the group had opted to operate at a 30% maximum capacity to ensure the space is at an optimum safety level.

Ho said the group has been hard at work in improving its Glamping experience at the Lost World of Tambun amid the growing popularity of its staycation packages.

“We want our guests to return to us with confidence in our repurpose spaces and extension of operating hours with heightened standard operating procedures well above the standards implemented by the Ministry of Health in our 132-acre theme parks combined.

“Large, open spaces are Sunway’s theme park’s strength and with that, we are going out of our way to show that our parks are sanitised regularly and high touch-point spaces have been expanded,” he said.