by BERNAMA / pic by TMR FILE
THE Social Security Organisation (Socso) has received a total of 348 complaints related to misuse and fraudulent claims of the wage subsidy scheme (WSS) fund under the short-term National Economic Recovery Plan (Penjana) package.
Its CEO Datuk Seri Dr Mohammed Azman Aziz Mohammed said of the total, 269 complaints had been resolved, with three complaints referred to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC), while another 79 cases are still under investigation.
Regarding the arrest of two directors of private companies by the MACC in connection with false claims of WSS amounting to almost half a million ringgit yesterday, he said it was among the three complaints referred to the MACC for further action.
“As the investigation is still being carried out by the MACC on the individuals involved, any further statement will only be issued after the investigation is completed.
“Individuals from two companies in Segamat, Johor, are suspected of having submitted fake documents for WSS applications under Penjana,” he said in a statement yesterday.
On Monday, the two suspects were detained at the Johor MACC Segamat branch office to assist in the investigation of false WSS claims involving a 39-year-old female company director, who submitted a claim for 52 employees involving a wage subsidy payment of RM282,600.
Another suspect was a 64-year-old man, who submitted fraudulent claim of WSS for 38 employees involving a payment ofRM195,600.
The payments were made by Socso from May to October last year.
Meanwhile, Mohammed Azman said thus far, Socso had made payments amounting to RM13.5 billion to employers who were eligible to receive the assistance.
He said Socso is constantly monitoring the applications submitted by employers and would not hesitate to report to the authorities if elements of fraud or abuse were detected.