Highest daily Covid-19 fatality with 21 deaths

Govt has decided to extend MCO to Feb 18 for all states except Sarawak due to the uptrend in cases

by NUR HAZIQAH A MALEK / pic by RAZAK GHAZALI

THE highest daily Covid-19 fatality count since the start of the pandemic was reported yesterday with 21 deaths, despite the downward trend of new cases observed within the last week.

Health DG Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah (picture) said the deaths involved 12 cases in Selangor, four in Sabah and two each in Johor and Kuala Lumpur (KL), and one in Kedah.

“Out of the deaths recorded today, 20 were locals while one non-local,” he said in a statement.

A total of 3,455 new cases were reported yesterday, bringing the current active cases to 47,847.

“This brings up to the cumulative number of cases in Malaysia to 222,628. Of the total new cases, 3,450 of the cases were from local transmission, while the remaining were infections from overseas,” he said.

Meanwhile, 327 patients now require treatment in the intensive care unit, with 145 of them requiring the aid of the ventilator.

The daily count of new cases has been seeing a downtrend for three consecutive days since Jan 30, which saw a high of 5,728 new cases.

Selangor once again reported the highest number of new cases at 1,145, followed by Johor (708) and KL at (619).

“Out of this large number from Selangor, 75.4% are from active clusters and close contact identification that are still undergoing,” he said.

Seven new clusters were identified yesterday, two of which were recorded in Selangor, namely Jalan Ragum and Bukit Rahman.

Other new clusters are Parit Jamil Darat in Johor, Tapak Bina Jalan Cheras in KL, Taman Muhibbah in Pahang, Industri Serkam in Melaka and Semarak Bersia in Perak.

Six out of the seven clusters were identified as workplace clusters, while Semarak Bersia is a community cluster.

Meanwhile, to tackle the recent spike in cases, the government has decided to extend the Movement Control Order (MCO) until Feb 18 for all states except Sarawak, with the exclusion of two districts.

Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said according to the Health Ministry’s assessment, all states involved were seeing uptrends in cases within clusters with a rate of between 20% and 40%.

“In addition, transmission of sporadic infections in the community is also highly involving citizens and non-citizen.

“Accordingly, on risk assessment and advice, we have agreed to continue operating under MCO 2.0 nationwide from Feb 5 to Feb 18, except for Sarawak which remains under Conditional MCO and some areas declared under Enhanced MCO (EMCO),” he said.

Starting today, the EMCO will be implemented at Felcra Nasaruddin in Perak Tengah, and Phase 2 and partial Phase 1 of EMCO at Felda Bersia in Hulu Perak.

The EMCO implemented at Kg Orang Asli Batu 6 in Perak, that was scheduled to end today, will be extended until Feb 10, 2021.

Meanwhile, the EMCO implemented on Block C and Rehabilitation Centre School Block in Muar, Johor, has ended, following the full recovery of all Covid-19 patients in the locality.

Ismail Sabri said the compliance task force has detained 680 individuals for breaching the standard operating procedures for the MCO 2.0, following its inspection.

“Out of the total, 630 individuals were compounded, 49 remanded and one guaranteed.

“Some 140 offenders were looking to travel interstate or inter-district without permission, followed by not wearing face masks and non-compliance with physical distancing,” he said.

Meanwhile, the Benteng Ops has also detained 16 foreigners travelling without legal documents and two smugglers, and confiscated six land vehicles after having mounted 537 roadblocks.

“During the operation, 103 boats and/or ships were also detected on national waters through four sighting activities,” he said.

Yesterday, 63 sanitation operations were performed, encompassing 41 zones, four orange zones, five yellow zones and one green zone.

Similarly, 800 individuals who arrived from international borders were all required to isolate themselves at quarantine stations nationwide, marking up the total since July 24 to 114,861 individuals who have returned from other countries.

Currently, 8,367 individuals are undergoing mandatory quarantine, while 477 were sent to the hospital for treatment and 106,017 allowed to return home.

Meanwhile, 7,262 foreign workers were also screened yesterday, with 85 of them confirmed positive.

To date, the total number of screened foreign workers has totalled up to 273,032, and out of the total, 4,952 were confirmed positive, while 268,080 were negative.


Read our earlier report

MCO extended until Feb 18, SOP to be issued by MKN