EMCO at detention block, quarters of Pekan Nenas Immigration Depot tomorrow

by BERNAMA / Pic by BERNAMA FILEPIX

The detention block and quarters of the Pekan Nenas Immigration Depot in Pontian, Johor will come under Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) from tomorrow until Feb 5.

Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob (picture) said the decision was made based on the advice of the Health Ministry (MOH) following COVID-19 screening at the place in which 177 out of the 360 tests came out positive yesterday.

“The implementation of EMCO is to control movements as well as contain the spread of the infection to other staff, families as well as the communities outside,” he said in a statement on the development of MCO today.

On the monitoring of MCO standard operating procedures (SOPs) compliance, Ismail Sabri said yesterday 660 individuals were arrested for flouting the SOP in which 621 of them were issued compounds while 39 were remanded.

According to him, not wearing face mask was the highest violation with 228 people followed by the failure to provide facility to record customer details (121), not observing physical distancing (96), illegal interstate and inter-district travel (54), premises operating beyond the permitted hours without approval (63) and others (98).

On national border surveillance, Ismail Sabri who is also Defence Minister said on the same day, 24 illegal immigrants and 17 land vehicles were seized under Op Benteng.

Apart from that, he said 50 construction sites were inspected yesterday in which three were found not complying with SOP while two were ordered to close.

He said another 5,819 foreign workers were tested for COVID-19 yesterday in which 84 of them were confirmed positive and cumulatively, 190,429 foreign workers had undergone screenings with 3,739 found positive and 186,690 more were negative.

He said 7,198 employers and 852 clinics were involved in the screening programme of foreign workers so far.

On sanitisation operation, he said yesterday 85 operations were conducted nationwide taking the cumulative total since it began on March 30 last year to 14,412 operations in 145 zones.

Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri said 608 individuals arrived at international checkpoints yesterday and were quarantined at quarantine stations throughout the country.

“Since April 24 2020, 108,922 individuals had returned home and all were placed in 79 hotels and 167 public training institutes (ILA) as well as private education centres all over the country, he said.

Ismail Sabri also assured that food supply at retailers and wholesalers now is stable and adequate and daily monitoring would continue to be held by the Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Ministry enforcement.