Selangor allocates RM6m for targeted swab test

by AFIQ AZIZ / pic by RAZAK GHAZALI

THE Selangor government is allocating RM6 million to screen its high-risk citizens for Covid-19.

Mentri Besar Datuk Amirudin Shari said the sum is a part of the state’s new package, named “Selangor Kita”.

The RM6 million allocation is expected to benefit 50,000 high-risk people residing in Selangor.

“The screenings will focus on vulnerable groups such as seniors, especially those who are in the care centres and hemodialysis centres as well as the B40 group and students in the state.

“Details on this programme will be announced soon,” he said when announcing the Selangor Kita package virtually today.

Amirudin said since the initiative began last year, 19,976 free screenings have been conducted throughout Selangor.

Selangor has been consistently recording high numbers of Covid-19 infections, surpassing 1,000 cases daily, that the federal government had to put it under a 14-day Movement Control Order since Jan 13.

The Selangor Kita package involves RM73.9 million, of which RM30 million of them are fresh allocations, including the free swab test initiatives.

The remaining sum was an existing allocation in the Selangor 2021 Budget, with some enhancements to ensure the aids can be delivered earlier than scheduled.