New electricity connections, repairing, maintenance, and TNB CareLine and Facebook TNB CareLine will operate as scheduled, says minister
by LYDIA NATHAN / pic by MUHD AMIN NAHARUL
THERE will be no electricity supply cuts during the Movement Control Order (MCO) 2.0, Energy and Natural Resources Minister Datuk Dr Shamsul Anuar Nasarah said.
In a statement released by the ministry yesterday, Shamsul Anuar said all related services will continue to operate and function as per usual.
“New electricity connections, repairing, maintenance, and TNB CareLine and Facebook TNB CareLine will operate as scheduled.
“All Kedai Tenaga and meter reading will be conducted throughout this period, and we will ensure all the standard operating procedures (SOPs) set by the government will be followed closely,” he said.
He also advised customers to utilise online payment methods for transactions, available on the Tenaga Nasional Bhd’s (TNB) website and myTNB app, adding that any questions or concerns can be resolved by contacting TNB via the website or app.
“As we know, a majority of employees will be working from home, while children will revert back to online classes. I encourage people to use electricity carefully and responsibly during this MCO as we are aware that usage in households is expected to increase.
“One of the steps people can take is to remember to turn off electrical appliances like computer after usage and not leaving the air conditioner, fan or lights on if not in use. Customers can obtain useful information on efficient usage of electricity from the Energy Commission or TNB’s website,” Shamsul Anuar said.
He added that customers should fully utilise the SAVE 2.0 Programme to receive RM200 in rebates for the purchase of smart appliances like efficient air conditioners and refrigerators with the aim to save on electricity in households.
Previously, Shamsul Anuar said there would be no electricity terminations for domestic users in Peninsular Malaysia and Sabah who had less than six months’ arrears from Jan 1 till March 31, 2021.
This category of consumers will be given the opportunity to schedule payment installations for six months from Jan 1 until June 30, 2021.
This initiative is in collaboration with TNB and Sabah Electricity Sdn Bhd, and involves 6.94 million domestic customers in Peninsular Malaysia and 500,000 customers in Sabah who are eligible for this initiative.
Meanwhile, Telekom Malaysia Bhd (TM) also assured its customers that service will continue during the MCO.
“For continuous customer service and experience, TM will proceed with all new service installations at customers’ premises as usual.
“Similarly, for service restoration activities, TM technical teams will attend to customers’ issues including inside their premises. This applies to all zones, except in Enhanced MCO zones and those designated under Home Surveillance Order where only critical requirements will be attended to,”
TM said in a statement yesterday. In addition to its personnel’s strict adherence to the SOPs, customers will also be requested to fill up a Post Work Customer Declaration form to confirm such adherence by TM installers or the technical team.
At the same time, the operation hours of its customer touchpoints which include TMpoint outlets nationwide and TM contact centres will be maintained.
However, customer interactions at TMpoint outlets will be limited with priority for essential transactions only, including new service applications, payments, complaints and enquiries, and collection of SIM cards.
TM group CEO Imri Mokhtar said the company assures that Malaysians can stay connected at home, entertained, informed and served during the MCO and beyond.
“Rest assured, TM has taken and will continue to take all necessary measures to ensure the health and safety of our customers and employees.
“Meanwhile, if customers require any service-related support, we encourage them to utilise our multiple digital channels and our agents are ever ready to assist,” he said.