by S BIRRUNTHA / pic by BERNAMA
THE government yesterday announced that a total of 28 Top Glove Corp Bhd factories in Klang, Selangor, will be closed in stages following the increase in Covid-19 infections involving factory workers.
Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the gradual closure will be coordinated by the Selangor State Security Working Committee, together with Top Glove management.
“To date, the Health Ministry has conducted 5,794 screenings on Top Glove factory workers and 1,889 positive Covid-19 cases were recorded.
“Today alone, a total of 1,067 positive Covid-19 cases were identified among Top Glove employees,” he said in his daily press conference yesterday.
The minister added that the closure of the 28 factories is to enable all workers to undergo screening tests and quarantine.
Previously, the government implemented the Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) at Top Glove’s foreign workers’ hostel in Meru, Klang, for 14 days, after a surge in Covid-19 cases there.
The 14-day EMCO came into effect on Nov 17 and will be in place until Nov 30.
The EMCO covers Top Glove’s male dormitory and female dormitories on Jalan Abadi 1A/KU8, Jalan Abadi 1A and Jalan Abadi 10A/KU8, involving 13,190 workers and nearly 1,200 residents.
In a recent statement, Top Glove noted that the implementation of EMCO affected about 5,700 of its workers. This represented about 27% of its total employees of 21,000.
The company, together with three other glove manufacturers, namely Hartalega Holdings Bhd, Supermax Corp Bhd and Kossan Rubber Industries Bhd had also agreed to collectively contribute RM400 million to help the government in curbing the spread of Covid-19, including to fund vaccine procurement.
As of yesterday, Top Glove’s shares closed 0.82% or six sen higher to RM7.35, valuing the company at RM60.24 billion.
Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri said the government has allowed all eateries, grocery stores, convenience stores and petrol stations in the Conditional MCO (CMCO) states to operate until midnight, starting today.
He added that the decision was made following the numerous complaints received from traders, traders’ associations and the public.
“The permission was also granted to convenience stores, petrol stations and grocery stores,” he said.
Previously, businesses in CMCO states were only allowed to operate until 10pm.
Ismail Sabri also announced that the EMCO in Taman Mesra in Sandakan, Sabah, Plaza Hentian Kajang in Kajang, Selangor, and Medan 88 in Salak Tinggi, Sepang, had ended yesterday.
However, there are new EMCO areas, namely the Seremban Prison and its staff quarters, as well as Kampung Sabah Baru in Lahad Datu, Sabah, starting today until Dec7.
Ismail Sabri noted that the government had extended the CMCO in the Kuching district until Nov 27.
On another note, the minister announced that 807 arrests were made related to MCO violations, where 747 individuals were compounded, while 52 remanded and eight bailed.
Under Ops Benteng, 85 illegal immigrants were detained, and three land vehicles were seized in an operation held nationwide.
From July 24 until Nov 22, a total of 73,248 individuals have returned to the country from abroad through international check points.
Of that number, 942 individuals are undergoing mandatory quarantine and 404 individuals were sent to hospitals for treatment, while 62,460 individuals have been discharged and allowed to return home.
Read our earlier report here
Home Ministry to review MM2H applications amid calls to review new rules