CMCO enforced due to last week’s 1,755 cases

pic by RAZAK GHAZALI

THE government’s decision to enforce the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) on all states in the peninsula except for Perlis, Kelantan and Pahang was due to the 1,755 new Covid-19 cases recorded on Nov 6.

Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Special Functions) Datuk Seri Mohd Redzuan Md Yusof said as most states recorded an increase in new cases, there was a need for the government to use a more firm and bold approach before the situation worsens.

“Based on this development, the Health Ministry had carried out immediate risk evaluations and found that there was a significant increase in the number of positive Covid-19 cases and the rate of infection in these states.

“Therefore, the government made the decision to enforce CMCO for four weeks (28 days) and the Enhanced MCO on localities which were identified to have high infection rate, to curb the spread of the virus,” he said in a written reply for the Minister Question Time in Dewan Rakyat yesterday.

The CMCO began on Monday and will be enforced until Dec 6, 2020.

Mohd Redzuan was responding to Wong Shu Qi (Pakatan Harapan [PH]-Kluang) who asked for the rationale of the CMCO in seven states in the peninsula.

He added that the CMCO is a measure to continue the enforcement of the Prevention and Control of Infectious Disease Act 1988 (Act 342) which contains the standard operating procedures issued under the movement restriction order.

On Nov 6, 1,755 new cases were reported and of the total, three were imported cases involving two Malaysian citizens and a non-citizen. Two deaths were also recorded that day.

Sabah accounted for most of the new cases on that day with 1,199 positive cases.

Separately, in a written reply yesterday, Senior Minister (Education) Dr Mohd Radzi Md Jidin said the government had announced the closure of all schools nationwide due to the risk of Covid-19 infections even in areas that were not under CMCO.

He said the closure of schools under CMCO areas involved 74% of schools under the Education Ministry.

“The decision was made based on data analysis towards positive cases, close contact and quarantines among the students, teachers and the school staff which have increased during the third wave of Covid-19 in the states.

“Besides, the ministry’s data revealed that a student’s school attendance would be affected where there is a positive case in an area although it is located in states that do not record high Covid-19 cases.

“This is due to concerns among parents towards their child’s safety if they attended school,” he said as a response to a question from Kelvin Yii (PH-Bandar Kuching) about the closure.