by HARIZAH KAMEL / pic by BERNAMA
ANJUNG Teduh in Felda Sahabat, Lahad Datu, Sabah, will be subject to the Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) starting tomorrow, said Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob (picture).
He said the decision was made due to an increase in positive cases in the area which forced the Sabah state National Security Council (NSC) to propose the move effective on Oct 24 until Nov 6, 2020.
“It involves 544 units of houses with a total of 4,629 residents,” he said in his daily press briefing yesterday.
According to Ismail Sabri, the standard operating procedures (SOPs) are the same as other EMCO, but the retail activities of basic necessities and emergencies are allowed.
“Grocery stores are allowed to operate from 6am to 6pm and we only allow residents to buy and then go home. The Ministry of Health will also conduct targeted screenings at this location,” he said.
Meanwhile, the government will extend the implementation of the EMCO in six localities in Semporna starting Oct 24 to Nov 6, 2020.
This includes Kampung Bangau-Bangau, Kampung Panji, Kampung Air, Kampung Selamat, Kampung Simunul, Kampung Pinggir Bakau and one locality in Kunak, Kampung Pangkalan.
However, Ismail Sabri said some flexibility will be given for grocery activities to operate from 6am to 6pm for residents to buy necessities.
In regard to the enforcement of the SOPs, he said 636 individuals were detained for breaching them. Of the total, he said, 595 were compounded, 38 were remanded and three others were granted bail.
“Among the offences committed were not wearing face masks (279), the lack of physical distancing (130) and failing to prepare the device to record entry and exit information (82),” he said.
He also said 27 foreigners were detained and nine vehicles were confiscated during Ops Benteng.
In addition, a total of 33 sanitisation operations were performed covering six red zones, 11 yellow zones and 11 green zones in 11 states.
The overall number of sanitisation operations that have been conducted is 10,653, covering 135 zones since March 30.
On mandatory quarantine, around 8,248 were currently undergoing isolation at 65 hotels and 17 premises including institutions both private and public as of yesterday.
“381 individuals were brought to the hospital for treatment, while 43,982 individuals have been discharged and allowed to return home so far,” he said.
On another note, as many Malaysians were questioning on social media why they could still go to markets and shopping malls but couldn’t to the office during the Conditonal MCO, Ismail Sabri answered it was mainly to reduce people’s movement to lower the risk of infection.
“Imagine one million employees who can work from home, maybe we will be more successful in terms of breaking this Covid-19 chain because fewer people can interact with each other. But we are not closing the economic sector because people depend on the jobs they have for their livelihood,” he said.
Recently, Segambut MP Hannah Yeoh urged Ismail Sabri to stop his daily briefings if there are no substantial announcements that can help the rakyat, adding that a press conference is not the place to promote clothes or “items on the rack”.
Ismail Sabri responded that he will not stop making his briefings as it is crucial for the public to know about the government’s move and enforcement of Covid-19 directives.
“She is an Opposition member, so of course she would criticise anything. If I stop doing briefings to the public, people will think that the government is not doing anything to those who have broken the SOPs,” he added.