The number of violators increases to 661

by NUR HAZIQAH A MALEK / pic by RAZAK GHAZALI

THE number of violators of the standard operating procedures that are in place during the nationwide Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO) and the Conditional MCO (CMCO) in certain areas went up to 661 individuals from the 457 cases reported the day before.

Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said of the total, 632 were compounded, 27 remanded while two were bailed.

“Among the offences, 223 people did not wear face mask and 191 did not practise physical distancing,” he said in his daily briefing yesterday.

Another 112 offenders failed to instal the necessary device at the entry and exit points, while 75 people breached various rules and guidelines with areas that are undergoing the CMCO.

On Ops Benteng, 72 foreigners were detained, while 35 vehicles were confiscated.

He said 261 roadblocks were mounted nationwide yesterday by the police, the Border Security Agency and the Armed Forces.

“Since the implementation of Ops Benteng on May 20, a total of 497 illegal immigrants and 28 smugglers have been arrested throughout the state of Sarawak.

“A total of 1,477 members of the security forces, comprising 101 officers and 1,360 other ranks, have been assigned to control the national border area in Sarawak,” he said.

For terrestrial control, six operations were carried out, and foreigners’ movement monitoring had been carried out at identified rat lanes.

Meanwhile, security forces are focusing on the waters of Tanjung Datu spanning across an area of 34,570km.

Similarly, 10,548 sanitation operations were done in 135 zones: 38 were performed in eight red zones; 11 yellow zones and five green zones in Melaka, Sabah, Kedah, Terengganu, Pulau Pinang, Sarawak, Selangor, Pahang, Johor, Kuala Lumpur (KL) and Putrajaya.

As for the mandatory quarantine, as many as 50,254 individuals returned to the country from international borders.

“Of the total, 8,151 individuals are undergoing compulsory quarantine at 69 hotels and 15 premises including public training institutes and private institutions in KL, Selangor, Negri Sembilan, Penang, Johor, Sarawak, Kelantan, Perak, Kedah, Perlis, Terengganu, Sabah and Labuan.

“Another 381 individuals were taken to the hospital for treatment, while 41,722 were discharged and allowed to return home,” he said.

At the Alor Setar prison, 1,178 Covid-19 positive cases involving 1,137 convicts and 41 prison staff were recorded.

“Taking into account that there are still new positive cases and on the application of the Kedah State National Security Council and the advice of the Health Ministry, then the implementation of Enhanced MCO in Alor Setar Prison is extended for another 14 days starting Oct19, 2020 until Nov 1, 2020.