Labuan starts CMCO tomorrow

by S BIRRUNTHA / pic by BERNAMA

THE Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) will be imposed on Labuan tomorrow until Oct 30.

Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said this was necessary due to the increasing Covid-19 cases in the Federal Territory recently.

He added that the CMCO standard operating procedures (SOPs) for Labuan will be like those applied in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur (KL) and Putrajaya, with all economic activities allowed to operate, while social, education and religious sectors are to be closed.

“Interstate movements are not allowed, but those with emergencies or employees can get permission from the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM). However, interdistrict travels are not restricted as Labuan is an island.

“Air transports will operate as usual, but those who want to cross the state will also need to get permission from the PDRM,” he said in a press conference yesterday.

The senior minister added that water transports such as roro ferries, express ferries and speedboats are allowed until 6pm with limited capacity to ensure physical distancing.

He said although the port will remain open, the transport of goods (cargo) via waterways will not be allowed, as it comes from a neighbouring country.

Meanwhile, on the SOPs for Selangor, KL and Putrajaya, Ismail Sabri clarified that travelling is not limited to a 10km radius, as per the previous CMCO.

He said the movement of the community is limited within the boundaries of one administrative district led by the district officer.

“For instance, if KL is considered as one area or district, people in Cheras can travel to Bukit Bintang.

“But please remember, the travel must be to buy your necessities and not for social reasons or other purposes,” he added.

He also noted that the movement permit application form can be obtained from the nearest police station or downloaded via PDRM’s Facebook page.

“People can download the form, fill in the requested information accurately and they need to be at the police station for verification purpose only. I would like to stress that applications related to any social activities will not be entertained,” he said.

However, for those in KL, they will not need to produce any letters or documents when moving around the different districts in the city. They only need to do so when leaving KL.

Additionally, Ismail Sabri said a maximum of four diners are now allowed to sit at big tables while eating at restaurants. Previously, only two diners were allowed per table.

This revision came after a lot of confusion among restaurant operators over the size of the tables and how many people are allowed at a time.

He also urged employers in Selangor’s red zones to allow their employees to work from home during the CMCO, as this would be safer for them and the community.

On that note, he reminded people in CMCO areas to not succumb to panic buying as businesses will be operating as usual, especially those that involve necessary goods.

“I urge people to remain calm. Food services, raw goods and groceries are still being sold. Supermarkets, wet markets and even night markets are still open every day,” he said.

Meanwhile, the police made 390 arrests on Wednesday, of which 386 individuals were given compounds.

On mandatory quarantine, 48,461 individuals returned to the country from abroad through international check points as of Wednesday, of which 9,477 individuals are undergoing mandatory quarantine and 381 individuals were sent to hospitals for treatment.

A total of 38,603 individuals were discharged and allowed to return home.