by S BIRRUNTHA/ TMR PIX
1 Utama shopping centre in Bandar Utama will resume operation tomorrow after being closed since Oct 11 for Covid-19 screenings and decontamination, says Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
As of yesterday, he said the Health Ministry (MOH) had screened 6,000 people at the mall including staffs, tenants, and those on duty alongside 110 patrons who had visited the mall.
“Those tested positive for Covid-19 have been sent to the hospitals for treatment. While, close contacts of positive cases who displayed symptoms have been told to undergo further checks at nearby health clinics.
“Close contacts who are asymptomatic or do not display any symptoms have been ordered to self-quarantine for 14 days,” he added.
Previously, Health DG Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah had confirmed that a Covid-19 cluster known as the Utama cluster was detected at the shopping mall.
As of yesterday, he said the cluster has a total of 132 positive cases, with 131 cases detected in Selangor and one in Melaka.
The government has also decided to impose the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) at Kampung Padang Che Mas in Baling, Kedah starting from Oct 18 until Oct 31.
He added the decision was made following the screening conducted by the MOH on the villagers, in which 25 individuals from five families tested positive to Covid-19.
The minister informed that the special ministerial meeting today was also briefed on the Covid-19 situation at the village by the Kedah state government, as well as the Kedah National Security Council.
“As of Oct 12, a total of 236 people from the village have been screened for Covid-19 and they were subsequently instructed to observe the 14-day mandatory quarantine.
“They were also issued with the quarantine wristband. Movement in and out of the area will not be allowed,” he said in a press conference today.
On that note, Ismail Sabri said the government’s efforts to break the chain and curb the spread of Covid-19 will not be successful with mere enforcement action.
He said it also involves the responsibility of every individual in the country to practice self-control and to comply with the SOPs.
Meanwhile, the minister also announced that muslims in Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya and Labuan are allowed to perform Friday prayers at mosques and suraus in their respective areas with no more than 50 people.