by BERNAMA / pic by BERNAMA
DATUK Seri Najib Tun Razak’s (picture) 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) trial will resume on Oct 19 as the former prime minister is under a two-week home quarantine following his return from Sabah after campaigning for the state snap election last month.
Lead counsel Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah had applied for the trial to be adjourned during the case management before High Court judge, Collin Lawrence Sequerah today.
“My client tested negative on Sept 27 but it was guided by the Minister of Defence, Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
“In his social media posting, the minister said if you are positive, you should go to the hospital. However, if you are tested negative, but you were in close contact or exposed to the people who were infected, you are to adhere to the 14-day home surveillance order,” he said.
Muhammad Shafee said in addition to the home surveillance order, Najib had also taken an immune-boosting programme on Oct 3.
“He (Najib) should be able to attend normal programmes on the 15th,” said Muhammad Shafee.
Deputy Public Prosecutor Mohamad Mustafa P. Kunyalam did not object to the postponement’s request.
Justice Sequerah then allowed the application.
“In light of the current situation, it is a bit of a risk. Normally in 13 days, the symptoms can manifest. I supposed I accept the request (to adjourn the trial). The trial is vacated from Monday to Thursday and we will resume on Oct 19,” said the judge.
Najib, 67, is facing four charges of using his position to obtain bribes totalling RM2.3 billion from 1MDB funds and 21 charges of money laundering involving the same amount.