Mandatory quarantine for all overseas arrivals in Sarawak

Individuals involved should also undergo Covid-19 swab test on the 2nd and 10th day, says senior minister

by S BIRRUNTHA / pic by BERNAMA

ALL arrivals from abroad entering Sarawak are required to undergo mandatory 14-day quarantine at quarantine centres effective Sept 1.

Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the individuals involved should also undergo Covid-19 swab test on the second and 10th day.

“The cost of quarantine for Sarawakians will be fully borne by the state government, while for non-Sarawak residents, the quarantine cost will be at their own expense.

“For domestic arrivals, Malaysians can enter without having to undergo the mandatory quarantine,” he said in a statement yesterday.

However, the senior minister said they are required to fill an online health declaration form which can be downloaded from the Sarawak Disaster Management Committee website.

Following that, Ismail Sabri said 21,217 individuals entered the country via international check points from July 24 until Sept 1.

They were placed at 70 hotels and four public training institutes nationwide.

“A total of 8,801 individuals are undergoing the mandatory quarantine, while 66 individuals have been sent to hospitals for treatment and 12,350 individuals are allowed to return home,” he added.

On the compliance task force operations, Ismail Sabri said the police detained 39 individuals for violating the Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO) on Sept 1.

Under Ops Benteng, the police held 62 roadblocks nationwide and inspected 27,379 vehicles to prevent the entry of illegal immigrants. However, no arrest was made.

Separately, the country recorded six new Covid-19 cases yesterday involving four imported cases and two local transmission.

Health DG Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said all four imported cases were foreigners, of which three were from Indonesia and one from Syria.

Both local cases were Malaysians, where one case was detected in Pahang from a screening done at a workplace.

The other case was found in the MV Glen cluster in Selangor, related to a ship in Port Klang.

“The MV Glen cluster was first reported on Aug 30. So far, 58 individuals related to this cluster have been screened for Covid-19.

“Of the total, three were found positive, 16 tested negative and 39 are still waiting for their results,” Dr Noor Hisham said in his Covid-19 statement yesterday.

He added that the Health Ministry together with the Maritime Institute of Malaysia has taken various measures to monitor and tighten borders in the Malaysian waters.

The new cases brought the country’s overall total to 9,360.

There are now 153 active Covid-19 cases being treated at health facilities nationwide.

Among the active cases, four were placed in the intensive care unit, with three requiring respiratory aid.

Meanwhile, four patients were discharged, increasing the total recovered cases in the country to 9,079, which equals 97%.

With no new deaths recorded, the country’s death tally remained at 128.

Additionally, Dr Noor Hisham said around 9,490 people from the Amanjaya Targeted Enhanced MCO (TEMCO) have yet to undergo Covid-19 screening.

He said although the number of people is still under review, the ministry is urging people to come forward and undergo the screening immediately.

He also noted that to date, a total of 12,870 people from the Amanjaya TEMCO have been screened and only one was found positive, while 12,687 tested negative and 182 are awaiting results.