by BERNAMA/ pic by BERNAMA
TRADERS in Napoh, Kubang Pasu, whose businesses have been affected by the spread of COVID-19 linked to the Sivagangga cluster will be filing a lawsuit against the owner of Nasi Kandar Salleh.
Kedah Consumers’ Association (CAKE) secretary Mohamad Yusrizal Yusoff who is representing the traders said the lawsuit would be filed in a bid to seek compensation for losses incurred.
“So far, 100 traders around Napoh whose income has been affected have lodged complaints and want to seek compensation.
“Their income was affected for more than two months (during the implementation of the Movement Control Order) and now they have to suffer losses again following the implementation of TEMCO (Targeted Enhanced Movement Control Order) due to the eatery owner’s irresponsible act,” he said in a statement today.
Mohamad Yusrizal said currently CAKE was in the midst of gathering information on the losses incurred by the traders as well workers who get paid on a daily basis in the area before submitting it to the lawyer.
He said CAKE had also appointed a lawyer who is willing to offer his services for free and that the lawsuit is expected to be filed next week.
“We hope that this will serve as a lesson to everyone to not arbitrarily violate the standard operating procedures set by the government causing the spread of COVID-19,” he said.
Yesterday, Nezar Mohamed Sabur Batcha, 57, was sentenced to five months’ jail and fined RM12,000 by the Magistrate’s Court here after he pleaded guilty to four counts of failing to comply with the home quarantine order on July 14.
On Aug 3, the government announced the implementation of TEMCO in four areas, namely Mukim Ah, Mukim Hosba and Mukim Binjal in Kubang Pasu district; and Kampung Ulu, Padang Sanai in Padang Terap following the spread of COVID-19 cases stemming from the Sivagangga cluster.