MoH: 2 new Covid-19 clusters found

Kurau and Meranti clusters each have 2 positive cases, cause for the Meranti cluster is still under investigation

by S BIRRUNTHA/ pic by RAZAK GHAZALI

THE Ministry of Health (MoH) identified two more new Covid-19 clusters in the country yesterday.

Health DG Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the two clusters are the Kurau and the Meranti clusters.

He added that the first case from the Kurau cluster, the 9,050th case, was reported on Aug 7.

“The second case of this cluster, the 9,082nd case, is the brother-in-law of the 9,050th case, was detected as a result of active case tracking and close contact screening.

“Following that, the individual and family members who were in Penang were also screened. On Aug 9, he tested positive to Covid-19, while all family members tested negative,” he said in a statement yesterday.

Dr Noor Hisham said so far, 115 close contact individuals have been screened, of which 106 are negative and nine are still waiting for their results.

As for the Meranti cluster, Dr Noor Hisham said the first case was the 9,083rd case, which was a health staff who tested positive for Covid-19 on Aug 8.

“He also had contact with the 8,968th case, where it was detected as a result of pre-surgical screening at a hospital.

“After investigation, the 8,968th case had a history of seeking treatment at health facilities where the 9,083rd case was on duty.”

The DG said close contact screening and active case tracking activities for this cluster are ongoing and so far, 15 individuals have been screened.

He said the cause of this cluster infection is still under investigation. As of yesterday, the country recorded 13 new Covid-19 cases involving nine import cases and four local transmissions.

The increase in new cases yesterday brought the country’s overall total to 9,083.

Currently, 174 active Covid-19 cases are being treated at health facilities nationwide.

Among the active cases yesterday, one was placed in the intensive care unit but none of them requiring respiratory aid.

Nine patients were discharged yesterday, increasing the total recovered cases in the country to 8,784 or 96.7% of the overall total cases. No new deaths were recorded yesterday, as the country’s death tally remained at 125.

Separately, Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said 8,011 individuals had returned to Malaysia between July 24 and Aug 8.

“They were placed under mandatory quarantine at 31 hotels and five public training institutes,” he said in a statement yesterday.

However, he added that 20 returnees were sent to the hospital for treatment as they tested positive for Covid-19.

Additionally, Ismail Sabri also revealed that 178 people were detained yesterday for violating the Recovery Movement Control Order.

He said 169 of them were issued with compounds while eight were remanded and another was given police bail on Saturday (Aug 8).

“The compliance operation task force led by the police had also conducted 62,126 inspections, including on 3,945 supermarkets, 5,891 restaurants and 3,580 banks,” he added.

On Ops Benteng, Ismail Sabri said the police conducted 65 roadblocks nationwide and inspected 26,794 vehicles on Saturday.

A foreigner was detained for immigration offences in the operation.