The 11 new cases linked to the cluster include 2 schoolchildren aged 7 and 10, who had been in contact with a first-generation patient
by ALIFAH ZAINUDDIN / pic by BERNAMA
HEALTH officials reported 14 new coronavirus cases yesterday involving 11 local infections linked to the Sivagangga cluster in Kedah, bringing the cumulative total to 8,999 cases.
The 11 new cases recorded include two schoolchildren aged seven and 10, who had been in contact with a first-generation patient.
The confirmed cases have been put under surveillance at the Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital in Alor Setar.
Authorities have so far identified 313 individuals tied to the Sivagangga cluster, of which 20 have tested positive for the disease, while 13 tests are still pending. The rest tested negative.
The cluster of infections broke out after a local restaurant owner violated a Home Surveillance Order self-quarantine upon his return from India.
The first generation of patients to date include the man’s family member, four of his staff and two customers.
Meanwhile, three other cases comprised of two infections identified in Sabah and an imported case involving a Filipino, Health DG Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said in a statement. The overall death toll remains unchanged at 125.
The country also reported 17 recoveries, pushing the recovery count to 8,664 or 96.3% of total cases. This leaves Malaysia with 210 active cases. Two patients are in intensive care with one requiring respiratory support.
Meanwhile, Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob in his daily update yesterday said police had arrested 315 people on Aug 1 for flouting standard operating procedures (SOPs) under the Movement Control Order.
He said compound fines were issued to 312 individuals, while three others were remanded.
“Their offences include engaging in activities that did not abide by SOPs, activities with large groups that made it difficult to practise physical distancing, and failure to wear face masks,” he said in a statement.
The police-led task force conducted 63,473 inspections on Saturday, with 14,327 officials surveying public areas including supermarkets, restaurants, factories, banks and government offices.
Ismail Sabri said police had also taken action against 28 individuals who had breached their home quarantine orders.
He said authorities conducted 2,263 checks on individuals who have been subjected to mandatory self-quarantine at home.
He added that between July 24 and Aug 1, a total of 4,286 individuals have returned from various countries.
Out of the figure, 13 individuals have been sent to the hospital for treatment. Others are currently undergoing quarantine in one of 16 hotels and five public training institutes.
COVID-19: Malaysia records seven new cases, first single digit increase – Health DG
MV Diamond Princess to dock at Port Klang, confirmed no COVID-19 cases on board