Of the 13 new cases, 8 are imports cases and 5 are local transmissions involving 3 Malaysians and 2 foreigners
by S BIRRUNTHA / pic by ARIF KARTONO
THE Ministry of Health (MoH) reported 13 new Covid-19 cases in the country yesterday involving eight import cases and five local transmissions.
Health DG Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the imported cases were from the UK, the Philippines, India, Pakistan, the Gambia and Ukraine.
Of the five local transmissions yesterday, he said three were Malaysians — one in Johor involving a sailor signing-off from work, one case from the Sentosa cluster and another in Sabah following symptomatic screening done at Hospital Queen Elizabeth in Kota Kinabalu.
“The remaining two cases of local transmissions involved foreigners, in which one case was reported in Sarawak from the Mambong cluster.
“The other was an illegal immigrant screened in Perlis before being moved to the Kangar Immigration Detention Depot,” he said in his Covid-19 statement yesterday.
The new cases yesterday have brought the country’s overall total to 8,956 with 220 active cases being treated at health facilities nationwide. Among the active cases yesterday, two patients were placed in the intensive care unit with one requiring ventilator support.
Five patients were discharged yesterday, increasing the total recovered cases in the country to 8,612, or 96.2%. No new deaths have been recorded, maintaining the country’s death tally at 124.
Dr Noor Hisham said preliminary investigations found that the most likely cause of the Covid-19 infection in the Sentosa cluster was related to community activities.
To date, the cluster had infected 31 individuals, most of whom were health workers.
A total of 1,026 individuals have been screened so far, including health workers, security guards, cleaners and family members.
Meanwhile, for the Mambong cluster, a total of 198 individuals have been screened with seven testing positive and the remaining negative.
Separately, Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said 2,174 Malaysians have returned through the international border entrance yesterday.
He said they were from 22 countries namely the Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Vietnam, Brunei, Qatar, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, India, the United Arab Emirates, Japan, Turkey, South Korea, Iran, Bangladesh, Taiwan, China, the UK, Netherlands and Australia.
The Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) had conducted 1,755 inspections on individuals who are undergoing mandatory 14-day quarantine at their respective homes.
Ismail Sabri said PDRM together with MoH will continue to conduct inspections and monitoring to ensure that standard operating procedures (SOPs) are complied with.
Additionally, the police had arrested 238 people for breaching the Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO) SOP yesterday.
“PDRM has arrested 238 individuals for disobeying the RMCO. Of that number, a total of 42 individuals were remanded, while 196 individuals were compounded,” Ismail Sabri said in a statement yesterday.
He added that from May 1 to July 28, the authorities had detained 2,491 undocumented migrants, 596 boat skippers and 144 people smugglers under the “Ops Benteng” initiative.
The authorities had also managed to seize 96 boats and 257 vehicles used to violate the country’s borders.