SEOUL • North Korean authorities have imposed a lockdown on the border city of Kaesong after discovering what they say is the country’s first suspected coronavirus case, state media reported yesterday.
Leader Kim Jong-un (picture) convened an emergency politburo meeting on Saturday to implement a “maximum emergency system and issue a top-class alert” to contain the virus, the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said.
If confirmed, it would be the first officially recognised case of Covid-19 in North Korea, where medical infrastructure is seen as woefully inadequate to deal with any epidemic.
KCNA said a defector who had left for South Korea three years ago returned on July 19 after “illegally crossing” the heavily fortified border dividing the two countries.
It is very rare for anyone to leave the South through what is one of the world’s most secure borders, replete with minefields and guard posts. But the South Korean military said there was a “high possibility” that a defector had recently returned.
A 24-year-old man is believed to have swum back to the North after being investigated for rape allegations in the South, according to multiple media reports and defectors.
Pyongyang previously insisted that not a single case of the coronavirus had been seen in the North despite the pandemic sweeping the globe, and the country’s borders remain closed.
The patient was found in Kae- song City, which borders South Korea, and “was put under strict quarantine”, as would any close contacts, KCNA said .
China and North Korea share a 1,400km border that is especially porous during the winter, when frozen rivers allow people to cross more easily in and out of the two countries.
Dozens of North Koreans cross the border to smuggle black market goods every day and analysts have said they may have carried the virus into the isolated country before the frontier was closed. — AFP