MCO again if cases hit 3 digits

The recent rise in the number of cases is due to the public’s complacency, minister says

by RAHIMI YUNUS/ pic by RAZAK GHAZALI

THE Movement Control Order (MCO) will be implemented again if the daily Covid-19 cases rise to three digits.

Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the country would implement the MCO again to curb the resurgence of the infection in daily positive cases.

“I understand that it will make things difficult for all parties, including those of us who want to work and so on, but this measure must be taken,” he said at a Royal Malaysian Army Veterans Cakna Programme in Kelantan yesterday, Bernama reported.

Recently, there has been a surge of double-digit new Covid-19 cases after the number was down to a single-digit earlier this month.

Ismail Sabri attributed the rise in the number of cases to the public’s complacency.

“We eased the standard operating procedures (SOPs) and the number of cases began to rise again,” he said.

He added that the government would hold a meeting today to discuss various issues on SOPs.

Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri said the country would take stern action against anyone who tries to enter the borders illegally as authorities tighten the control, particularly at the illegal routes.

Malaysia requires those entering the country to undergo mandatory 14-day quarantine at quarantine stations at their own cost from July 24 onwards.

Starting today, the police will detain and charge any individuals who did not attend for a second screening test on their 13th day of home quarantine. As of yesterday, 2,897 individuals yet to come forward for second testing.

The Health Ministry reported 13 new cases and one new death yesterday.

The new cases comprised three imported cases (one Malaysian and two foreigners) and 10 local transmission cases.