by S BIRRUNTHA/ pic by RAZAK GHAZALI
THERE are enough supplies of food and essential goods in the country to meet the current needs of the people, Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said.
The senior minister said enforcement officers from the Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Ministry had conducted checks on 25 essential items at 815 business premises on July 1.
“Overall, the supply of essential goods is sufficient, easily available and able to meet the continuous demand of the people,” he said in a statement yesterday.
Ismail Sabri added that the Agriculture and Food Industries Ministry has been monitoring the supply of goods from food producers regularly.
“The ministry has given its assurance that we have enough supply of food and essential goods. Members of the public are advised not to worry,” he added.
Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri revealed that 620 individuals have yet to undergo their second Covid-19 screening after being ordered to go through mandatory home quarantine.
He urged the group to cooperate and contact the Health Ministry (MoH) to perform a second Covid-19 screening, stressing that failure to do so is an offence.
“A second Covid-19 screening on the 13th day of home quarantine is a must. However, 620 individuals have not done so.
“The police will take action under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988 if they are still stubborn,” he added.
The MoH had screened 8,535 individuals at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) for Covid-19 from June 10 to July 1.
Of these, 8,498 people tested negative while 37 were found to be Covid-19 positive and had been admitted to the hospitals so far.
On July 1, 724 Malaysians returned from Vietnam, Indonesia, Singapore, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, South Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Brunei. Of these, one tested positive and taken to the hospital while the remaining were ordered to undergo home quarantine.
Separately, the MoH announced that the number of active Covid-19 cases in the country is now below 100, as only 85 cases are currently treated at health facilities nationwide.
Three new Covid-19 cases were recorded yesterday — two local transmission and one import case.
Health DG Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the two locally transmitted cases were non-Malaysians with one related to the Bukit Bintang cluster.
He noted that the positive cases in the Bukit Bintang cluster have involved 10 Bangladeshis and one Malaysian to date.
The other case was detected from a screening conducted on inmates at a prison in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, while the import case was a Malaysian who had returned from Singapore.
Among the active cases, two are placed in the intensive care unit and both patients are under ventilator support.
Yesterday’s new cases increase the country’s overall total to 8,643.
Sixty-two patients recovered yesterday, bringing the recovered cases to 8,437, which translates to a recovery rate of 97.6%.
No new deaths were recorded, which means the country’s death tally remains at 121.