THE Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) is soon expected to decide on whether to go ahead with this year’s Malaysia Open tournament.
BAM president Datuk Seri Mohamad Norza Zakaria (picture) said the parent body had to consider several factors — including additional expenditures and lower spectator turnout — before proceeding with the competition which offers US$750,000 (RM3.21 million) in cash prizes.
“Subsequently, the Malaysia Open is not among the tournaments that offer qualifying points for the Olympic Games (Tokyo 2020). In addition, we also need to see the suitability of organising the tournament, as we are dealing with the Covid-19,” said
Mohamad Norza, who is also the president of the Olympic Council of Malaysia.
Mohamad Norza said the world’s top players are also unlikely to attend the Malaysia Open as the Malaysian government is still imposing travel restrictions on foreigners.
Local media reports previously claimed that BAM was not planning to continue with the Malaysia Open, which is a Badminton World Federation (BWF) Super 750 World Tour, due to high costs involved.
The tournament was previously slated to run from March 31 to April 5, however, the BWF has rescheduled it to November this year due to the Covid-19 outbreak. — Bernama