by ALIFAH ZAINUDDIN/ pic by HUSSEIN SHAHARUDDIN
THE waiver on an automated teller machine (ATM) charge for interbank withdrawal will continue to be applicable until the decision is overturned.
This comes after Putrajaya announced a move to allow banks nationwide to resume normal operating hours at ATMs beginning yesterday.
Prior to this, ATMs were operating on shorter hours between 8am and 8pm to restrict public movement at night.
Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the waiver will continue to be in place until it is decided otherwise.
“We have not held any discussions and there have been no appeals made by banks to reverse the decision, so the RM1 fee waiver will still be applicable for now,” he said at his daily press briefing yesterday.
Several banks including RHB Banking Group and Malayan Banking Bhd in April said they would be waiving the fee for interbank cash withdrawal at ATMs from April 6 until the end of the Movement Control Order (MCO) period. The current movement curb is scheduled to expire on June 9.
Malaysia has since announced a gradual lifting of movement restrictions as reports of new coronavirus cases dwindle.
However, travel bans across states remain. An end to the interstate travel restriction will depend on whether the Conditional MCO (CMCO) will be prolonged beyond its targeted date, Ismail Sabri said.
“We have not decided on this because we do not know if the CMCO will end or be extended after June 9.
“It will depend on our decision to continue the CMCO beyond June or not,” the minister said.
The MCO, which started on March 18, was extended twice before the CMCO took effect on May 4.
He said exceptions are given to those who are facing emergency, attending to death in the family, going for work and couples living apart. Nevertheless, a police permission is still required.
“Our advice is to get the necessary permission before you make any plan to purchase flight tickets to travel interstate whether it is within the peninsula or to Sabah or Sarawak,” Ismail Sabri said.
Meanwhile, commenting on the possible reopening of barber shops, the minister said a standard operating procedure (SOP) is being drawn up to meet the requirements set by public health officials.
“The National Security Council is still working on the set of guidelines alongside the Health Ministry. Once they are ready with it, they will present it to us.
“We will decide from there whether to allow hair salons and barber shops to operate,” he said.
Health DG Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah had previously said the continued restriction on hair salons was due to fears of coronavirus transmission among customers and employees.
The ministry has since received appeal letters for an SOP from hairdressing associations.
“We are in the middle of fine-tuning the SOP as the industry is physically in contact with its customers and we want to make sure that Covid-19 infections can be avoided,” Dr Noor Hisham said.